Intent to Prototype: HTTP/3 protocol upgrade for HTTPS DNS records with h3 alpn parameter

Tsuyoshi Horo

May 19, 2022, 2:33:08 AM5/19/22
to blink-dev, eric...@chromium.org

Contact emails

ho...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https

Summary

HTTPS DNS resource records can provide information about supported protocols such as HTTP/3 with "alpn" parameter. If Chrome receives a HTTPS DNS record indicating HTTP/3 support, Chrome will connect to the server using the HTTP/3 protocol.

Blink component

Internals>Network>DNS

Motivation

Currently Chrome can use the HTTP/3 protocol only after receiving an Alt-Svc header from the server using a non-HTTP/3 protocol.  With this new feature, Chrome can connect to the server using HTTP/3 protocol without receiving the Alt-Svc header. This can reduce 1 RTT of handshaking of TCP which is required for non-HTTP/3 protocol while connecting to the server.

Initial public proposal

https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc

TAG review

Not applicable. No direct changes to web platform APIs. Change is to the underlying DNS infrastructure.

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/92.0/releasenotes)

WebKit: In development (https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dnsop/eeP4H9fli712JPWnEMvDg1sLEfg) Implemented behind "HTTP/3" Experimental Features

Web developers: Strongly positive (https://blog.cloudflare.com/speeding-up-https-and-http-3-negotiation-with-dns)

Other signals:

WebView application risks

No.

Debuggability

This feature will be debuggable using chrome://net-export/ and https://netlog-viewer.appspot.com/.

No. We need an HTTP/3 server and a DNS server to test the feature, and we have neither in WPT.

Flag name

TBD

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1317943

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5154357283651584

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Yoav Weiss

May 19, 2022, 4:06:04 AM5/19/22
to Tsuyoshi Horo, blink-dev, Eric Orth
That's great! Thanks for working on this!!