Intent to Ship: Style Container Queries for CSS Custom Properties

Rune Lillesveen

Dec 16, 2022, 5:13:28 AM12/16/22
to blink-dev

Contact emails

fut...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://css.oddbird.net/rwd/style/explainer

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-contain-3/#style-container

Summary

Adds a style() function to @container rules to make it possible to apply styles based on the computed values of custom properties of an ancestor element. style() queries can be combined with size container queries which shipped in M105.

Blink component

Blink>CSS

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None of the other vendors have responded to the standards-positions or, to my knowledge, started implementing. There were concerns raised by an Apple engineer in https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7185 mainly for standard property queries. This intent is for shipping support for custom property queries only.

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/686)

WebKit: No signal (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/57)

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Activation

Feature detection is not very ergonomic before we add at-prelude testing to @supports, which requires a resolution for [1]. [1] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6966

WebView application risks

Debuggability

DevTools may need to show style containers like it is done with size container queries today. However, all elements are style containers by default, so probably not the same type of UI. There is an issue where we look up the wrong container, that is, always assume that the closest container supporting logical inline axis queries is the closest one: https://crbug.com/1378237 If we fix that issue, we will automatically also implement correct container lookup for pure style containers. That should work both for highlighting elements querying a given container, and also list the query for the matched style rule correctly.

Yes

Yes

Flag name

#enable-experimental-web-platform-features / CSSStyleQueries (Blink)

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1302630

Sample links

https://www.bram.us/2022/10/14/container-queries-style-queries
https://una.im/style-queries

Estimated milestones

DevTrial on desktop107
DevTrial on Android107

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5076875399921664

Rune Lillesveen

Rick Byers

Dec 16, 2022, 3:11:23 PM12/16/22
to Rune Lillesveen, blink-dev

Mike Taylor

Dec 16, 2022, 3:22:36 PM12/16/22
to Rick Byers, Rune Lillesveen, blink-dev

Rune Lillesveen

Dec 19, 2022, 8:57:37 AM12/19/22
to Rick Byers, blink-dev
On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 9:11 PM Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:
Thanks, I did add the tests to "Web Platform Tests Description:", but the generated e-mail does not include that field. I've reported https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chromium-dashboard/issues/2591

--
Rune Lillesveen

Rune Lillesveen

Dec 19, 2022, 9:00:10 AM12/19/22
to blink-dev

Update: https://crbug.com/1378237 is now fixed.

--
Rune Lillesveen

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Dec 21, 2022, 11:45:56 AM12/21/22
to Rune Lillesveen, Rick Byers, blink-dev
LGTM3