Intent to Ship: AbortSignal in addEventListener

Joey Arhar

Jan 25, 2021, 9:00:04 PM1/25/21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

jar...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://github.com/whatwg/dom/pull/919

Summary

This feature adds a new AbortSignal option, named "signal", to the options parameter of addEventListener(). The "signal" option must first be created by an AbortController by accessing the "signal" property on an AbortController instance. Once the signal is passed in to addEventListener, calling "abort()" on the AbortController will remove the event listener added with addEventListener. For more context, see https://github.com/whatwg/dom/issues/911.

Blink component

Blink>DOM

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

GeckoShipped

Edge: No signal

WebKit: Shipped

Web developers: No signals

Yes
https://wpt.fyi/results/dom/events/AddEventListenerOptions-signal.any.html

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1146467

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5658622220566528

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/9396JedBBOM/m/OfeJ4z1OAQAJ

Yoav Weiss

Jan 26, 2021, 5:02:33 AM1/26/21
to Joey Arhar, Thomas Steiner, blink-dev
LGTM1

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 2:59 AM Joey Arhar <jar...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

Brand new! :)

Web developers: No signals

I don't know if this is an accurate description, as it seems like the HTML issue was started by a web developer. It also feels like something web developers would have strong opinions on :)
+Thomas Steiner would it be a good exercise to try the https://goo.gle/developer-signals process in this case and see what it gives?

Manuel Rego Casasnovas

Jan 26, 2021, 5:09:51 AM1/26/21
to Yoav Weiss, Joey Arhar, Thomas Steiner, blink-dev
LGTM2

On 26/01/2021 11:02, Yoav Weiss wrote:
> LGTM1
>
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 2:59 AM Joey Arhar <jar...@chromium.org
> <mailto:jar...@chromium.org>> wrote:
>

> Contact emails
>
> jar...@chromium.org <mailto:jar...@chromium.org>
>

> Explainer
>
> None
>

> Specification
>
> https://github.com/whatwg/dom/pull/919
> <https://github.com/whatwg/dom/pull/919>
>

> Summary
>
> This feature adds a new AbortSignal option, named "signal", to the
> options parameter of addEventListener(). The "signal" option must
> first be created by an AbortController by accessing the "signal"
> property on an AbortController instance. Once the signal is passed
> in to addEventListener, calling "abort()" on the AbortController
> will remove the event listener added with addEventListener. For more
> context, see https://github.com/whatwg/dom/issues/911
> <https://github.com/whatwg/dom/issues/911>.
>

> Blink component
>
> Blink>DOM
> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EDOM>
>

> TAG review
>
> https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/569
> <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/569>
>

> TAG review status
>
> Pending
>

> Risks
>

> Interoperability and Compatibility
>

> Gecko: Shipped <https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/b3d0fba5fd8d>
>
> Edge: No signal
>
> WebKit: Shipped <https://trac.webkit.org/changeset/271806/webkit>
>

> Brand new! :)
>

> Web developers: No signals
>

> I don't know if this is an accurate description, as it seems like the
> HTML issue was started by a web developer. It also feels like something
> web developers would have strong opinions on :)
> +Thomas Steiner <mailto:to...@google.com> would it be a good exercise to
> try the https://goo.gle/developer-signals
> <https://goo.gle/developer-signals> process in this case and see what it
> gives?
>

> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?
>
> Yes
> https://wpt.fyi/results/dom/events/AddEventListenerOptions-signal.any.html
> <https://www.chromestatus.com/>.

> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CACj%3DBEjTQGoPUm_EkEJOkePX4Nb7BN%2BmN0T46d5JpnoRdWGcaA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CACj%3DBEjTQGoPUm_EkEJOkePX4Nb7BN%2BmN0T46d5JpnoRdWGcaA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Joey Arhar

Jan 28, 2021, 11:38:53 AM1/28/21
to Manuel Rego Casasnovas, Thomas Steiner, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev

Mike West

Jan 28, 2021, 3:07:51 PM1/28/21
to blink-dev, Joey Arhar, Thomas Steiner, yo...@yoav.ws, blink-dev, Manuel Rego
LGTM3.