[blink-dev] Intent to Experiment: fetch() upload streaming

Yoichi Osato

May 11, 2020, 3:19:00 AM5/11/20
to blink-dev
yoi...@chromium.org https://bit.ly/2SVvKbR Specification: https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#concept-body-stream http://bit.ly/3asqra2 https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/434 Fetch provides a generic definition of Request and Response objects (and other things involved with network requests). This is a feature which lets web developers make a fetch with a ReadableStream body. We need an origin trial to verify web-compatibility, specifically that we can do chunked uploads over HTTP/1.1 without breaking middleboxes with trial API AllowHTTP1ForStreamingUpload (the additional API design is on-going). That trial and the rough API idea were suggested at https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/issues/966#issuecomment-588065153. Experiment Goals: Measure how far each HTTP protocol (1.0 or earlier, 1.1 and 2.0 or later) work to upload streaming. Plan: run the experiment while M84 beta/stable until M85 branch (From May 28 to Jun 25) None. Yes No wpt/fetch/api/basic/request-upload.any.js tests a few but WPT server doesn't support chunked encoding on HTTP/1.1 nor HTTP/2. See crbug.com/1048761. https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5274139738767360
Comments
A web developer gRPC already agrees to participate this experiment:
https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/issues/966#issuecomment-608128154

Yoav Weiss

May 14, 2020, 2:18:16 PM5/14/20
to Yoichi Osato, blink-dev
LGTM

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 9:18 AM Yoichi Osato <yoi...@chromium.org> wrote:
yoi...@chromium.org https://bit.ly/2SVvKbR Specification: https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#concept-body-stream http://bit.ly/3asqra2 https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/434 Fetch provides a generic definition of Request and Response objects (and other things involved with network requests). This is a feature which lets web developers make a fetch with a ReadableStream body. We need an origin trial to verify web-compatibility, specifically that we can do chunked uploads over HTTP/1.1 without breaking middleboxes with trial API AllowHTTP1ForStreamingUpload (the additional API design is on-going). That trial and the rough API idea were suggested at https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/issues/966#issuecomment-588065153.

Do you have partners lined up to try this out?
It sounds like they would take some compatibility risk in exchange for improved upload performance, but maybe that's a good tradeoff.

Experiment Goals: Measure how far each HTTP protocol (1.0 or earlier, 1.1 and 2.0 or later) work to upload streaming. Plan: run the experiment while M84 beta/stable until M85 branch (From May 28 to Jun 25) None. Yes No wpt/fetch/api/basic/request-upload.any.js tests a few but WPT server doesn't support chunked encoding on HTTP/1.1 nor HTTP/2. See crbug.com/1048761. https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5274139738767360
Comments
A web developer gRPC already agrees to participate this experiment:
https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/issues/966#issuecomment-608128154

Yoichi Osato

May 14, 2020, 9:58:43 PM5/14/20
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
> Do you have partners lined up to try this out?
> It sounds like they would take some compatibility risk in exchange for improved upload performance, but maybe > that's a good tradeoff.

Yes, a web library developer gRPC is participating in this experiment:
https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/issues/966#issuecomment-608128154

Yoichi Osato

May 15, 2020, 1:46:20 AM5/15/20
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
Since main implementation and trial API design was not fixed, I decided to postpone the experiment to M85, which will be beta from Jul 23th and stable from Aug 25th.