[blink-dev] Intent to Extend Origin Trial: Subresource loading with Web Bundles

Daisuke Enomoto

Oct 28, 2021, 12:49:42 AM10/28/21
to blink-dev, Hayato Ito, Kunihiko Sakamoto, Miras Myrzakerey, Kenji Baheux, Jeffrey Yasskin

Contact emails

hay...@chromium.org, deno...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/blob/master/explainers/subresource-loading.md

Specification

Design docs

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src.git/+/refs/heads/master/content/browser/web_package/subresource_loading_origin_trial.md

Summary

Provides a new approach to load a large number of resources efficiently using a format that allows multiple resources to be bundled, e.g. Web Bundles.

Blink component

Blink>Loader>WebPackaging

TAG review

(We’ll reopen this once we can have a consensus in the discussion here

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

No interoperability and compatibility risk has been identified for the prototype phase. This is purely a feature addition for the performance optimization for now.

It is expected that a browser which doesn’t support this feature should load subresources from the network, as usual.

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Ergonomics

Activation

Developers need to package their subresoruces beforehand in order to take advantage of this feature. We'll work with JS bundler ecosystems to provide a plugin to package subresources as Web Bundles.

Security

No security risk has been identified for the prototype phase.

Goals for experimentation

<Key change included in the Intent to Extend>

This Intent to Extend includes a few major changes based on the feedback collected during the original OT, which are 1) <script>-based API from <link>-based API, 2) new scheme: uuid-in-package, and 3) New Web Bundle format version. The extension allows us to get sufficient data before shipping the feature.

See these documents for details.

In addition, the original main goals remain unchanged:

1. Measure how this feature makes a subresource loading faster in real sites.

2. Measure how this feature improves Ad Serving. See WebBundles for Ad Serving (https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/624) for details.

3. Collect feedback on the API surface so that we can discuss how this and alternative approaches like resource-bundles (https://github.com/WICG/resource-bundles) could potentially converge in the future.

Reason this experiment is being extended

We started with <link>-based API in the original OT to allow quicker availability and confirmed the intended effect of the feature. We are extending the OT to experiment with <script>-based API we had originally planned along with other changes we decided to apply based on the feedback collected in the original OT.

1) <script>-based API from <link>-based API

2) new scheme: uuid-in-package

3) Web Bundle format version

It would be nice that we have a chance of a few more iterations so that we can fix our implementation in case we find something is wrong in M97. Therefore, we plan to extend the OT to M101.

Original I2E: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/9CwkzaF_eQ4/m/kuR07FTTCAAJ

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Debuggability

Developers have the ability to test this functionality on their pages by opening DevTools and selecting the Network tab. This allows the DevTools to represent Web Bundles and the resources that originate from it being attributed to the Web Bundle.

Yes

No

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1082020

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1133108

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last

101

OriginTrial desktop first

90

OriginTrial android last

101

OriginTrial android first

90

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5710618575241216

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/wYn13HabRN0/m/L4y4iY1-AgAJ

Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/9CwkzaF_eQ4/m/kuR07FTTCAAJ

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

-----------
Thanks
Daisuke

Mike West

Oct 28, 2021, 2:38:28 PM10/28/21
to Daisuke Enomoto, blink-dev, Hayato Ito, Kunihiko Sakamoto, Miras Myrzakerey, Kenji Baheux, Jeffrey Yasskin

This might be a good time to ask, as per https://bit.ly/blink-signals. :)

Ergonomics

Activation

Developers need to package their subresoruces beforehand in order to take advantage of this feature. We'll work with JS bundler ecosystems to provide a plugin to package subresources as Web Bundles.

Security

No security risk has been identified for the prototype phase.

Goals for experimentation

<Key change included in the Intent to Extend>

This Intent to Extend includes a few major changes based on the feedback collected during the original OT, which are 1) <script>-based API from <link>-based API, 2) new scheme: uuid-in-package, and 3) New Web Bundle format version. The extension allows us to get sufficient data before shipping the feature.

Does #1 refer to https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/blob/main/explainers/subresource-loading.md#link-based-api? I'm a little confused about this, as I thought we'd decided not to rely on <link> due to the concerns in https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/580

More broadly, these changes don't appear to be included in the explainer. I might be misunderstanding the scope, but I'd suggest some clarification there so developers know what to expect.

Hayato Ito

Oct 29, 2021, 4:07:02 AM10/29/21
to Mike West, Daisuke Enomoto, blink-dev, Kunihiko Sakamoto, Miras Myrzakerey, Kenji Baheux, Jeffrey Yasskin
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comment. We appreciate that. Let me add some clarifications and additional info.

That makes sense. Let us do that soon. We'll update this thread when done.

[...]

Our intention was that #1 refer to the new <script>-based API, which is aiming to replace the <link>-based API.

> as I thought we'd decided not to rely on <link> due to the concerns in https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/580

That's right. Exactly for that reason, we've designed and implemented a new <script type=webbundle> API. The design doc of <script type=webbundle> explains the reason as well.
New <script>-based API will be available from M97 in the extended OT.

Note: we plan to remove <link>-based APIs at an appropriate timing after a good communication with OT customers.

More broadly, these changes don't appear to be included in the explainer. I might be misunderstanding the scope, but I'd suggest some clarification there so developers know what to expect.

That makes sense. Since it might be difficult for developers to understand "what's changed" by looking at one explainer, we have been trying to have a migration guide for developers. I've just made the internal one public here. That's still draft, however, let us keep this up-to-date.

It seems the original trial guide is out of date. We'll update this guide too, incorporating the public migration guide doc. Hopefully, the origin trial guide will be the source of truth for this extended OT.

--
Hayato

Daniel Bratell

Nov 4, 2021, 3:25:13 PM11/4/21
to Hayato Ito, Mike West, Daisuke Enomoto, blink-dev, Kunihiko Sakamoto, Miras Myrzakerey, Kenji Baheux, Jeffrey Yasskin

LGTM to extend the experiment until 101

/Daniel

Hayato Ito

Nov 8, 2021, 10:27:13 PM11/8/21
to Daniel Bratell, Mike West, Daisuke Enomoto, blink-dev, Kunihiko Sakamoto, Miras Myrzakerey, Kenji Baheux, Jeffrey Yasskin