Intent to Experiment: Viewport-height client hint

Max Curran

Apr 6, 2022, 5:25:57 PM4/6/22
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

curr...@chromium.org, ryan...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/responsive-image-client-hints/blob/master/Viewport-Height-Explainer.md

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/responsive-image-client-hints/#sec-ch-viewport-height

Summary

Currently, Responsive Image Client Hints provide a way for origins to obtain the viewport’s width. However, no such attribute exists for viewport height. We’ve observed that to optimize the loading of content that appears in viewport, it is essential for the origins to adapt HTML response based on viewport height.

Blink component

Blink>Loader

TAG review

TAG review status

Issues addressed

Link to origin trial feedback summary

https://github.com/WICG/responsive-image-client-hints/issues

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/79)

WebKit: Negative (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-November/031576.html) Likely to be neutral based on discussion in https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/79

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Activation

None

WebView Application Risks

Goals for experimentation

Client hints opt-ins from origins are session-sticky which makes it difficult to experiment with using origin trials since origin trials operate at document-level. We plan to run an A/B experiment using Chrome’s field trial infrastructure. Our plan is to enable the feature for at most 1% users to collect metrics, and ship this feature only if it shows performance improvement for origins that choose to use this feature.

Reason this experiment is being extended

Due to Chrome approvals taking longer than expected, and partners still needing to implement how to use the client hint, we have not been able to experiment yet. We would like to extend the origin trial from M101 to M104.

Ongoing technical constraints

Debuggability

N/A

Yes

Yes

Flag name

kViewportHeightClientHintHeader

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1184863

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1184862

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last

101 → 104

OriginTrial desktop first

99

OriginTrial android last

101 → 104

OriginTrial android first

99

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5646861215989760

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/Q2wcqY2UyNs/m/rPePdX_NBwAJ

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status.

Yoav Weiss

Apr 7, 2022, 5:18:15 AM4/7/22
to Max Curran, blink-dev
Has the experiment started in the M99 timeframe? Or are you planning to start it later? Have any partners signed up?

Max Curran

Apr 7, 2022, 4:52:50 PM4/7/22
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
We are running a coordinated experiment with Search. The Chrome side was started in M99, but they were only able to start their side of the experiment this week. Other than Search, no other partners have signed up.

Yoav Weiss

Apr 8, 2022, 2:01:42 AM4/8/22
to Max Curran, blink-dev
In that case, I'm inclined to say that the actual experimentation started in M100.
Regardless, extending the experimentation till M104 LGTM.