Intent to Experiment: Web app scope extensions

356 wyświetleń

Lu Huang

nieprzeczytany,
11 paź 2023, 06:05:3711.10.2023
do blink-dev
Contact emails
lu...@microsoft.comluig...@microsoft.comalanc...@chromium.org

Explainer
https://github.com/WICG/manifest-incubations/blob/gh-pages/scope_extensions-explainer.md

Specification
None

Design docs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-idhx8heajbPYl3cdXFVCjpIuf96cRa_DrRk6147ELI/edit?usp=sharing

Summary

Adds a "scope_extensions" app manifest member that enables web apps to extend their scope to other origins. Example usage: { "name": "Example", "display": "standalone", "start_url": "/index.html", "scope_extensions": [ {"origin": "https://*.example.com"}, {"origin": "https://example.co.uk"}, {"origin": "https://*.example.co.uk"} ] } This allows sites that control multiple subdomains and top level domains to be presented as a single web app. Requires listed origins to confirm association with the web app using a .well-known/web-app-origin-association configuration file. { "web_apps" : [ {"web_app_identity": "https://sample-app.com/"} ] }

Blink component
UI>Browser>WebAppInstalls

TAG review

TAG review status
Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility
Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/904)

WebKit: No signal (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/265)

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Ergonomics

None.

Activation

None.

WebView application risks

Goals for experimentation

Allow app partners to experiment more broadly with the scope_extensions feature and provide feedback. We want to evaluate the shape of the scope_extensions API for ease of use and expose any corner cases. Specifically, we want to understand if origin-level granularity is sufficient without path filters. We will evaluate this based on feedback from OT participants.

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Debuggability

DevTools Application pane will be the appropriate surface to add debugging support. Specifically, a section can be added to help troubleshoot the status of origin association validation. Additionally, edge://web-app-internals/ also have relevant information for debugging.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?No

Supported on Windows, MacOS, Linux, ChromeOS. Not supported on mobile platforms where app identity is implemented differently.

No

Flag name on chrome://flags
about://flags/#enable-desktop-pwas-scope-extensions

Finch feature name
None

Non-finch justification
None

Requires code in //chrome?
False

Tracking bug
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1250011

Estimated milestones
Dev Trial - 115
Origin Trial 120 or 121

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5746537956114432

Links to previous Intent discussions
Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/-iySPmw8o34/m/oLgrCUQXAQAJ
Ready for Trial:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/OBZBZwS6qr0/m/VRySwd40AQAJ

Mike Taylor

nieprzeczytany,
11 paź 2023, 10:13:3211.10.2023
do Lu Huang, blink-dev

Hi there,

Could you clarify which milestones you would like to run the experiment on?

thanks,
Mike

Goals for experimentationAllow app partners to experiment more broadly with the scope_extensions feature and provide feedback. We want to evaluate the shape of the scope_extensions API for ease of use and expose any corner cases. Specifically, we want to understand if origin-level granularity is sufficient without path filters. We will evaluate this based on feedback from OT participants.

Chris Harrelson

nieprzeczytany,
11 paź 2023, 10:54:5111.10.2023
do Mike Taylor, Lu Huang, blink-dev
Please also fill out the 3 other review categories (security, privacy, debuggability) in chromestatus.

Lu Huang

nieprzeczytany,
11 paź 2023, 17:12:0911.10.2023
do blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, Lu Huang, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org
We would like to start running this experiment from 120 through 123 inclusive, but may have to delay start to 121 running through 124.

Lu Huang

nieprzeczytany,
11 paź 2023, 17:25:3911.10.2023
do blink-dev, Lu Huang, Chris Harrelson, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org
For the 3 review categories in chromestatus (security, privacy, and debuggability), I have clicked on request review but have not found a way to post comments from the UI.

For security and privacy, we have a self-review at:  manifest-incubations/scope_extensions-security-privacy-questionnaire.md at gh-pages · WICG/manifest-incubations (github.com)
For debuggability, here are the survey responses until I find out how to add to the comments at chromestatus:

(1) Does the introduction of the new Web Platform feature break Chrome DevTools' existing developer experience? No. (2) Does Chrome DevTools' existing set of tooling features interact with the new Web Platform feature in an expected way?
Yes. (3) Would the new Web Platform feature's acceptance and/or adoption benefit from adding a new developer workflow to Chrome DevTools? Yes. If adopted, this new feature would benefit from new UI and tooling in the Application Page of Chrome DevTools. DevTools support can help developers determine if they have set up the web app association configuration correctly and if their specified scope_extensions are valid.

Mike Taylor

nieprzeczytany,
12 paź 2023, 13:11:2912.10.2023
do Jason Robbins, Chris Harrelson, Lu Huang, blink-dev

Jason, could you please work with Lu to figure out why he can't post comments in the chromestatus entry (but can request a review)?

thanks.

Lu Huang

nieprzeczytany,
16 paź 2023, 12:00:0816.10.2023
do blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, Chris Harrelson, Lu Huang, blink-dev, jrob...@google.com
Quick update:
We would like to push the start back to M121, and request that it run for 6 milestones initially.
First milestone: 121.
Last milestone: 126.

Alex Russell

nieprzeczytany,
16 paź 2023, 13:32:2816.10.2023
do Lu Huang, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, Chris Harrelson, jrob...@google.com
I'm supportive of this, but curious why 6 milestones. If there are partners signed up to provide feedback, can we summarize that input sooner than 6 months?

Best,

Alex

Lu Huang

nieprzeczytany,
16 paź 2023, 14:09:0716.10.2023
do blink-dev, sligh...@chromium.org, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, Chris Harrelson, jrob...@google.com, Lu Huang
In this case, I want to make sure there's enough time for app partners to enroll in January when M121 reaches Stable and for us to help them troubleshoot the configuration needed. This feature requires more server-side configuration ( of /.well-known/web-app-origin-association) that could take time to troubleshoot than other web app manifest features in the past.

If things go well and we get the desired feedback in time, we could try to move forward from OT before the 6 months are up.

Lu Huang

nieprzeczytany,
26 paź 2023, 20:24:3726.10.2023
do blink-dev, Lu Huang, sligh...@chromium.org, blink-dev, mike...@chromium.org, Chris Harrelson, jrob...@google.com
We have a LGTM from Chris in the chromestatus page "API Owners" section (see attached screenshot). I think this means we are ok to proceed, but please let me know if I am mistaken and we need an explicit LGTM in this thread. Thanks!
chromestatus_api_owners.png

Chris Harrelson

nieprzeczytany,
26 paź 2023, 20:37:5526.10.2023
do Lu Huang, blink-dev, sligh...@chromium.org, mike...@chromium.org, jrob...@google.com
Yes, LGTM! Sorry for forgetting to email.

Lu Huang

nieprzeczytany,
17 sty 2024, 13:38:3917 sty
do blink-dev, Chris Harrelson, blink-dev, sligh...@chromium.org, mike...@chromium.org, jrob...@google.com, Lu Huang
New update (Jan 17th, 2024):
We found and fixed a flag check bug in M121 Chrome Beta that prevented this feature from working correctly.

With M121 being past the point of accepting merges, we would like to change the OT to run from M122-127 (instead of the previously approved M121-126) please.
Any objections?

Chris Harrelson

nieprzeczytany,
17 sty 2024, 14:05:0217 sty