Intent to Implement and Ship: Allow simple Range header values without preflight

Rayan Kanso

Oct 5, 2021, 6:50:40 AM10/5/21
to blink-dev

Contact emails

raya...@chromium.orgjakear...@chromium.org

Specification

https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/
Diff: https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/pull/1312

Summary

Allows requests with simple range headers to go through without preflight. CORS requests will be able to use the Range header in limited ways (having only one valid range) without triggering a preflight.

Blink component

Blink>SecurityFeature>CORS

TAG review

Not applicable - this is a simple amendment that does not require an architectural review.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

GeckoPositive

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signal

Debuggability

N/A

https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/pull/31058

Flag name

N/A

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1255711

Estimated milestones

M96/M97

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5652396366626816

Mike Taylor

Oct 6, 2021, 4:22:54 PM10/6/21
to Rayan Kanso, blink-dev
On 10/5/21 6:50 AM, Rayan Kanso wrote:

Contact emails

raya...@chromium.orgjakear...@chromium.org

Specification

https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/
Diff: https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/pull/1312

Summary

Allows requests with simple range headers to go through without preflight. CORS requests will be able to use the Range header in limited ways (having only one valid range) without triggering a preflight.

Blink component

Blink>SecurityFeature>CORS

TAG review

Not applicable - this is a simple amendment that does not require an architectural review.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

GeckoPositive

WebKit: No signal

Can we ask WebKit folks for a signal?

Web developers: No signal

Debuggability

N/A

https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/pull/31058

Flag name

N/A

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1255711

Estimated milestones

M96/M97

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5652396366626816

Yoav Weiss

Oct 7, 2021, 3:24:27 AM10/7/21
to Mike Taylor, Rayan Kanso, blink-dev
On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 10:22 PM Mike Taylor <mike...@chromium.org> wrote:
On 10/5/21 6:50 AM, Rayan Kanso wrote:

Contact emails

raya...@chromium.orgjakear...@chromium.org

Specification

https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/
Diff: https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/pull/1312

Summary

Allows requests with simple range headers to go through without preflight. CORS requests will be able to use the Range header in limited ways (having only one valid range) without triggering a preflight.

Blink component

Blink>SecurityFeature>CORS

TAG review

Not applicable - this is a simple amendment that does not require an architectural review.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

GeckoPositive

Also, this doesn't count as a positive Mozilla position. I agree it's a good signal, and am not sure we need to file for an official position though.

WebKit: No signal

Can we ask WebKit folks for a signal?

Web developers: No signal

Debuggability

N/A

https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/pull/31058

Flag name

N/A

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1255711

Estimated milestones

M96/M97

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5652396366626816

Rayan Kanso

Oct 7, 2021, 5:58:04 AM10/7/21
to Yoav Weiss, Mike Taylor, blink-dev
Can we ask WebKit folks for a signal?

There's this bug filed against WebKit. I'm not aware of any other channels to get feedback.

Yoav Weiss

Oct 7, 2021, 8:12:54 AM10/7/21
to Rayan Kanso, Mike Taylor, blink-dev
On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 11:58 AM Rayan Kanso <raya...@chromium.org> wrote:
Can we ask WebKit folks for a signal?

There's this bug filed against WebKit. I'm not aware of any other channels to get feedback.

Mike West

Oct 7, 2021, 3:31:00 PM10/7/21
to Yoav Weiss, Rayan Kanso, Mike Taylor, blink-dev
LGTM1.

This seems correct to me from a behavior perspective, and I'm comfortable considering this to be small enough to avoid explicit signal requirements, and to accept the fact that it's landed in the spec as being Good Enough.

-mike

Yoav Weiss

Daniel Bratell

Oct 7, 2021, 3:38:23 PM10/7/21
to Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Mike West, Rayan Kanso, Mike Taylor

LGTM3

/Daniel

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/0bf72a14-7ff5-4898-98d1-4b9fdd19ab53n%40chromium.org.