platform compatibility w.r.t non-Chromium code or APIs

Chris Harrelson

Dec 13, 2021, 3:07:16 PM12/13/21
to blink-api-owners-discuss
I'd like to propose the following edit to the intent-to-ship template (bolded):

Is this feature supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?
Yes or no. If no, explain why this feature is not supported on these platforms.
Does the feature depend on any code or APIs outside the Chromium open source repository to function (e.g. server-side APIs or closed-source code bundles)?
Yes or no. If yes, explain why this is necessary.

Rationale: such dependencies should only be present with very good justification, as they will prevent all Chromium-based browsers from benefiting from the feature. Examples of features where "yes" would have been reported: geolocation, push notifications and DRM-related codecs.

If the intent owner answers yes, I would expect us to only approve if the intent owner provided a compelling explanation.

Chris

Shruthi Sreekanta

Dec 13, 2021, 3:10:59 PM12/13/21
to Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
Huge +1 to this proposal. This would help all of us reason through design decisions and flag any potential concerns early through the intent process.

Shruthi

Johnny Stenback

Dec 13, 2021, 3:39:13 PM12/13/21
to Shruthi Sreekanta, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
Likewise, +1 to adding this.

- jstenback (he/him)

Rick Byers

Dec 13, 2021, 3:40:08 PM12/13/21
to Johnny Stenback, Shruthi Sreekanta, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
Yeah +1. This is almost always "no" but in the rare case the answer is yes it could be easy to forget to have a discussion about it and I think that would be a mistake.

Rick

Arvind Murching

Dec 13, 2021, 3:51:32 PM12/13/21
to blink-api-owners-discuss, rby...@chromium.org, Shruthi Sreekanta, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss, jste...@google.com
+1, thanks for proposing this!

Arvind

TAMURA, Kent

Dec 14, 2021, 2:38:14 AM12/14/21
to Arvind Murching, blink-api-owners-discuss, rby...@chromium.org, Shruthi Sreekanta, Chris Harrelson, jste...@google.com
+1

--
TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Yoav Weiss

Dec 14, 2021, 3:07:57 AM12/14/21
to TAMURA, Kent, Arvind Murching, blink-api-owners-discuss, rby...@chromium.org, Shruthi Sreekanta, Chris Harrelson, jste...@google.com

Mike Taylor

Dec 14, 2021, 9:46:43 AM12/14/21
to Yoav Weiss, TAMURA, Kent, Arvind Murching, blink-api-owners-discuss, rby...@chromium.org, Shruthi Sreekanta, Chris Harrelson, jste...@google.com

Daniel Bratell

Dec 14, 2021, 11:13:37 AM12/14/21
to Mike Taylor, Yoav Weiss, TAMURA, Kent, Arvind Murching, blink-api-owners-discuss, rby...@chromium.org, Shruthi Sreekanta, Chris Harrelson, jste...@google.com

LGTM

I'm not 100% sure whether it covers operating system APIs or not but since the intent is to trigger a discussion it doesn't really matter. There is a grey area with operating system APIs, whether the use of them is a tie-in or not. I think that in general would be covered by the other question about what platforms that will support the feature so it will be covered either way.

/Daniel

Chris Harrelson

Jan 3, 2022, 3:19:29 PM1/3/22
to Daniel Bratell, Mike Taylor, Yoav Weiss, TAMURA, Kent, Arvind Murching, blink-api-owners-discuss, rby...@chromium.org, Shruthi Sreekanta, jste...@google.com
Good question about OS APIs. I think we should include them. Revised text with latest addition bolded:

Is this feature supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?
Yes or no. If no, explain why this feature is not supported on these platforms.
Does the feature depend on any code or APIs outside the Chromium open source repository and its open-source dependencies to function? (e.g. server-side APIs, operating system APIs or closed-source code bundles)
Yes or no. If yes, explain why this is necessary.

Chris Harrelson

Jan 3, 2022, 3:21:04 PM1/3/22
Filed https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chromium-dashboard/issues/1659 to track adding to the intent-to-ship process.