Some QUIC Performance Results

Alex Gizis

Nov 7, 2013, 7:14:13 PM11/7/13
to proto...@chromium.org
Hey everyone,
Brian Prodoehl and I spent a couple hours doing some performance tests on QUIC with networks of different bandwidths, latencies and reliabilities.  We wrote up our results, and posted our test scripts and data in this blog post:  http://www.connectify.me/taking-google-quic-for-a-test-drive/     We'd be interested to hear how these numbers line up with what others are seeing or would expect to see.

Thanks,
Alex

Jim Roskind

Nov 8, 2013, 2:14:40 AM11/8/13
to proto...@chromium.org
We're still nailing elements of "correctness," where that means "matching TCP's performance."   Bottom line: We hope to soon be past this phase, as we are now starting to add additional optimizations which should help us to shine.

I think there was (for example) a bug where (contrary to TCP) when more than one packet was lost during an epoch (a single round trip time), then the congestion window could be reduced more than once (i.e., multiplied by a reduction factor more than once).  I think that might explain one of your results. (We should have upstreamed that change... but probably have not yet landed it back into Chromium where you were testing).

We also had (perhaps still have) a clamp on the "maximum congestion window" (re: CWND), and that may have prevented the bandwidth from rising endlessly in your 0-packet-loss experiment.  We put in the clamp as were were working to straighten out our RTO response (which had a bug), but it should be removed shortly (even though it would not have impacted most common user scenarios... but did show in your test).

We appreciate the report.... and hope you'll post again in a few weeks as we hopefully progress.

Thanks,

Jim

Jason Lane

Nov 8, 2013, 2:43:59 PM11/8/13
to proto...@chromium.org
This is great! Shall be following this with great interest.

Well done!

B Galliart

Nov 8, 2013, 7:53:59 PM11/8/13
to proto...@chromium.org
Great work!  Instead of just comparing QUIC with TCP, it would be interesting to compare QUIC with native SCTP.  The QUIC team seem to try to promote the advantages of QUIC by talking about the disadvantages of SCTP over UDP--however, they seem to have dismissed native SCTP.

Ben Spink

Nov 9, 2013, 4:19:52 AM11/9/13
to proto...@chromium.org
If you're interested in other tools that kind of do a similar thing, you should try out a CrushTunnel.  It takes a TCP socket input, splits it across a dynamic number of other sockets (channels) to get to the other side of the tunnel where pieces are put back together in order and continue as a single socket connection to their destination.  It overcomes the latency aspect as you still get the full TCP speed you would have gotten, but multiplied by the number of channels.  Its great for file transfer and large continuous pushes of data, but not good for conversation activity because it is adding its own form of latency...  We have tested it at up to 800Mbit on the WAN where it would normally have only been roughly 10Mbit to 20Mbit because of latency.  Email us if you are interested, we currently are beta testers with your switchboard product.

--Ben

Muhammad Syawalfiza Lokman

Nov 21, 2013, 11:05:19 AM11/21/13
to proto...@chromium.org
Hey,

Can you make a comparison between QUIC and FASP (aspera)?

Thank.

/Wal.

Pradeep Nayak

Nov 22, 2013, 3:21:24 AM11/22/13
to proto...@chromium.org
When you mention QUIC, you specified that it is HTTP over QUIC in your report. However in the latest version of the quic_client/quic_server we see that it's using SPDY. ( src/net/tools/quic/quic_client_session.cc, line 45, QuicSpdyClientStream is created by default).

Is it possible that the code might have changed to use SPDY instead of HTTP between now and the time when you ran the experiments?

Alex Gizis

Nov 22, 2013, 11:48:28 AM11/22/13
to proto...@chromium.org

Sorry for the silence, we got pulled into getting a new release of Switchboard out the door.  That's just about done, and so we're back to fiddling around here.  Right now we're playing with QUIC and the suggestion of SCTP.  Hopefully we'll have more to share next week.   I think Brian will be chiming in here soon with some answers about how we actually ran the test.

---Alex

Jim Roskind

Nov 22, 2013, 1:02:56 PM11/22/13
to proto...@chromium.org
Within Chromium, QUIC shares a lot of code with SPDY.  Don't be concerned with the overlap and reuse of some SPDY code to handle multiple streams.

HTTP is a higher layer, and HTTP requests are multiplexed into a SPDY or QUIC connection, with each such request corresponding to a stream..  Although SPDY is potentially forming the basis of HTTP/2, you should think of your "good old HTTP requests" as continuing to exist, and only ask if the request went over a SPDY, vs QUIC, vs TCP (or TLS over TCP) transport.

To see if you have QUIC traffic in Chromium, you can visit about:net-internals and verify how indeed QUIC is being used, and what requests it conveyed.

dincer salih

Jan 2, 2017, 9:57:52 AM1/2/17
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group
Quictransfer Simple and easy-to-use no-registration upload and sharing of big files.

Inti Mendoza

May 5, 2017, 4:09:21 PM5/5/17
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, agi...@gmail.com
What are the initial window setting, receive window settings, crypto algorithms negotiated and used parameters?

Pavan K

May 9, 2017, 4:52:39 AM5/9/17
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, agi...@gmail.com
I realize this is from 2013. Has there been any updates on the performance benchmarks compared with TCP?

Could we run the same tests again? (from the github link)

Marc Tordoff

May 10, 2017, 10:05:27 AM5/10/17
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, agi...@gmail.com
+1 for re running this test.

Pavan K

Aug 7, 2017, 12:20:37 PM8/7/17
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, agi...@gmail.com, marc.t...@gmail.com
I ran the tests again. Here are the updated results :  https://github.com/pavan4/benchmarking/tree/master/results/2017-07-08

Curious to hear thoughts from everyone. Seems the improvements are quite not there yet?

Vladimir Knobel

Sep 8, 2017, 2:34:59 AM9/8/17
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, agi...@gmail.com, marc.t...@gmail.com
Those results don't look very QUICK...

ckr...@chromium.org

Sep 8, 2017, 1:32:31 PM9/8/17
to QUIC Prototype Protocol Discussion group, agi...@gmail.com, marc.t...@gmail.com
Indeed, refer to my post in the other thread.