turning on slimming paint by default

Walter Korman

Jun 10, 2015, 4:12:41 PM6/10/15
to pain...@chromium.org
Hi Paint Team,

From discussion today, below is our updated plan with particular focus on how to deal with the mass of LayoutTest updates that will be needed in non-virtual-test-suite land.

1. Modify layout test runner script to turn off slimming paint by default, passing --disable-slimming-paint (to be actually introduced in code in next step). Preparing change shortly.

2. Commit http://crrev.com/1169193003 to change Chromium-side slimming paint flag to '--disable-slimming-paint' from '--enable-slimming-paint', forcing slimming paint on by default, but with a way to disable it, and already in place Blink-side per #1, thus existing LayoutTests should continue w/ existing non-SP expectations.

3. Follow approach impl-side-painting used by incrementally turning on slimming paint for Blink-side LayoutTests on a per-directory basis, ala http://crrev.com/813473005/ thus giving us a chance to field rebaselines and code reviews for LayoutTests in a reasoned manner over time. We need to make sure having both '--disable-slimming-paint' and '--enable-slimming-paint' flags results in slimming paint actually being enabled. Note we'll have removed the Chromium-side '--enable-slimming-paint' flag at this point per #2, but we're keeping it named as-is Blink-side, and I'm presuming we can still use --enable-blink-features=slimmingPaintEnabled.

Walter Korman

Jun 10, 2015, 5:36:00 PM6/10/15
to pain...@chromium.org
Edit/clarification of #3: we're not removing '--enable-slimming-paint' flag in #2, rather we've just added an additional '--disable-slimming-paint' flag, and enable takes precedence over disable. So we don't need to use --enable-blink-features=slimmingPaintEnabled.