Does anyone use chrome://view-http-cache?

John Abd-El-Malek

May 8, 2017, 5:12:39 PM5/8/17
to net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
I'm wondering if anyone uses this internal URL?

The context is that with a separate network process, we need a separate API to the network service to implement this. It's not much work, but I wanted to know if people actually use this before adding the additional API surface.

Thanks

Matt Menke

May 8, 2017, 5:15:06 PM5/8/17
to John Abd-El-Malek, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
There was a bug filed about removing it, but our cache people both said they've found it useful (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=613824)

Charles Harrison

May 8, 2017, 5:17:54 PM5/8/17
to John Abd-El-Malek, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
I have used this when debugging cache issues when I'm on network triage duty. Maybe it was useful for ~2 bugs in about a year and a half?

I've also used it when prototyping a feature which involved caching no-store resources in the http cache with some injected headers, but we aborted the project for other reasons.

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:12 PM, John Abd-El-Malek <j...@chromium.org> wrote:

John Abd-El-Malek

May 8, 2017, 5:33:00 PM5/8/17
to Charles Harrison, Gavin Peters, Josh Karlin, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
+Gavin & Josh who commented on the bug

The bug mentioned cachetool which I didn't know about. Does it do everything view-http-cache does? If yes (or if it added the missing capability), would it be sufficient to handle your needs over the last year?

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Charles Harrison <cshar...@chromium.org> wrote:
I have used this when debugging cache issues when I'm on network triage duty. Maybe it was useful for ~2 bugs in about a year and a half?

I've also used it when prototyping a feature which involved caching no-store resources in the http cache with some injected headers, but we aborted the project for other reasons.
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:12 PM, John Abd-El-Malek <j...@chromium.org> wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone uses this internal URL?

The context is that with a separate network process, we need a separate API to the network service to implement this. It's not much work, but I wanted to know if people actually use this before adding the additional API surface.

Thanks

Eric Roman

May 8, 2017, 5:57:06 PM5/8/17
to John Abd-El-Malek, Charles Harrison, Gavin Peters, Josh Karlin, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
+1 to removal, this doesn't seem worth keeping to me.

I expect we can support loading the cached content for a particular URL by just tweaking the load flags. Maybe as simple as:  LOAD_ONLY_FROM_CACHE | LOAD_SKIP_CACHE_VALIDATION | LOAD_SKIP_VARY_CHECK  ?

The other functionality provided by view-http-cache is *listing* the cached entries. Assuming this is the useful feature debuggers are using, it can be filled in either by use of cachetool, or by adding the data to the captured NetLogs (capture of NetLogs is something we would already need to support in servicified version.).

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 2:32 PM, John Abd-El-Malek <j...@chromium.org> wrote:
[...]

Matt Menke

May 8, 2017, 6:00:23 PM5/8/17
to Eric Roman, John Abd-El-Malek, Charles Harrison, Gavin Peters, Josh Karlin, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
view-http-cache also lets you see the resource prior to filters (Which made it useful for digging into https://crbug.com/161127, at least).  Anyhow, if we don't need it, I'm all for removing it, just want to make sure we really don't need it.

Eric Roman

May 8, 2017, 6:12:26 PM5/8/17
to Matt Menke, John Abd-El-Malek, Charles Harrison, Gavin Peters, Josh Karlin, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
Regarding filters -- if we asked the user to capture a byte-level NetLog prior to issuing this URLRequest with special load flags (by some TBD entry point), we would be able to see both the raw bytes and the post-filtered bytes in the resulting log right?

Granted, the ergonomics aren't as simple as just loading view-http-cache:XXX, but if this is an infrequently used debugging tool, seems like a fair tradeoff. Chances are we will be asking for a NetLog anyway during the coarse of the investigation.

John Abd-El-Malek

May 8, 2017, 6:54:37 PM5/8/17
to Eric Roman, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, Gavin Peters, Josh Karlin, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
Since 161127 is 5 years old, it seems like perhaps that use case isn't frequent enough that we need to support? For the purpose of this discussion, I'm trying to figure it out if we can remove it without any non-trivial changes to add other functionality (i.e. to net-internals).

I can confirm that cachetool lets me see the cache entries and their contents.

If anyone feels this is necessary and existing functionality isn't sufficient to do their work, please speak up in the next few days.

Thanks

Josh Karlin

May 8, 2017, 7:37:43 PM5/8/17
to John Abd-El-Malek, Eric Roman, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, Gavin Peters, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
I'm a big fan of about:cache. It's especially helpful when users say that something isn't coming out of their cache that should be. It at least verifies that it is or isn't there. I actually had plans to add new attributes to it in the near future (date/size).

Josh

John Abd-El-Malek

May 9, 2017, 10:16:50 AM5/9/17
to Josh Karlin, Eric Roman, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, Gavin Peters, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
Ok, thanks this is helpful. I'll port it then.

Eric Roman

Feb 7, 2018, 1:23:02 PM2/7/18
to John Abd-El-Malek, Josh Karlin, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, Gavin Peters, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
Checking status once more, since I would rather just delete this than have to address crbug.com/809823.

Josh and Charles: Are you still using this feature?

Josh Karlin

Feb 7, 2018, 1:41:26 PM2/7/18
to Eric Roman, John Abd-El-Malek, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
Infrequently. Not sure how much effort is involved in the port (and I can't view the linked issue). If it's a lot, then I'm okay with deleting.

Maksim Orlovich

Feb 7, 2018, 1:45:00 PM2/7/18
to Josh Karlin, Eric Roman, John Abd-El-Malek, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
cachetool maybe a plausible substitute to it for dev work?

>> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/net-dev/CAANMuaPd2D4-qh0NRP59M3CqOmYvE9KJBOx-A%2BG5c04s-kaV0Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Josh Karlin

Feb 7, 2018, 2:02:54 PM2/7/18
to Maksim Orlovich, Eric Roman, John Abd-El-Malek, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
Yeah, cachetool works for developers. It doesn't work when asking to verify if someone has an object in their cache.

A not uncommon bug is: "I swear I have this in my cache, but dev-tools shows it's not coming from cache." net-log I believe will show you that the cache rejected what was on disk, but not necessarily why. about://cache let's you inspect the headers to figure out why.

Josh

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/net-dev/CAFswn4moexnY_izqrmRsfvnzpg5eLrf9odRoZaf1RSwwPBWCZg%40mail.gmail.com.

Randy Smith

Feb 7, 2018, 2:13:02 PM2/7/18
to Josh Karlin, Maksim Orlovich, Eric Roman, John Abd-El-Malek, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-service-dev
On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 2:02 PM, Josh Karlin <jka...@chromium.org> wrote:
Yeah, cachetool works for developers. It doesn't work when asking to verify if someone has an object in their cache.

A not uncommon bug is: "I swear I have this in my cache, but dev-tools shows it's not coming from cache." net-log I believe will show you that the cache rejected what was on disk, but not necessarily why. about://cache let's you inspect the headers to figure out why.

I have a partially written CL around somewhere to improve logging in this case, which is probably a better idea (centralize the information into netlog) anyway.

-- Randy

Josh

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/net-dev/CAFswn4moexnY_izqrmRsfvnzpg5eLrf9odRoZaf1RSwwPBWCZg%40mail.gmail.com.

Josh Karlin

Feb 7, 2018, 2:16:42 PM2/7/18
to Randy Smith, Maksim Orlovich, Eric Roman, John Abd-El-Malek, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-service-dev
sgtm

Josh

Darin Fisher

Feb 7, 2018, 2:27:00 PM2/7/18
to Josh Karlin, Randy Smith, Maksim Orlovich, Eric Roman, John Abd-El-Malek, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-service-dev
wither one of the most classic about: urls ;-)

(i couldn't find a netscape 4 screenshot of about:cache but it had it too. maybe mosaic as well??)

this used to be a go to tool for me when debugging http issues in mozilla as well as chrome, but i'm the last person to argue for it at this point!

let about:cache go the way of about:plugins :)

-darin

Eric Roman

Feb 7, 2018, 3:21:24 PM2/7/18
to Darin Fisher, Josh Karlin, Randy Smith, Maksim Orlovich, John Abd-El-Malek, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-service-dev
Thanks for the feedback all!

I will go ahead and remove chrome://view-http-cache/

The updated NetLog details Randy is adding will hopefully be sufficient for debugging.

If not we can improve it, or resuscitate this feature in the future.

Randy Smith

Feb 7, 2018, 4:03:16 PM2/7/18
to Eric Roman, Darin Fisher, Josh Karlin, Maksim Orlovich, John Abd-El-Malek, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-service-dev
On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 3:21 PM, Eric Roman <ero...@chromium.org> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback all!

I will go ahead and remove chrome://view-http-cache/

The updated NetLog details Randy is adding will hopefully be sufficient for debugging.

Whoops, sorry, didn't mean to give that impression!  I was trying to say "There's been a gesture at work in this direction, which someone else could pick up if they were so inclined".  It's unfortunately a ways down my todo list at this point, and based on historically data, is probably moving in the wrong direction.

-- Randy

David Benjamin

Feb 8, 2018, 7:20:29 PM2/8/18
to Randy Smith, Eric Roman, Darin Fisher, Josh Karlin, Maksim Orlovich, John Abd-El-Malek, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-service-dev
NetLog also doesn't seem to show the HTTP headers for resources loaded from cache, which might have saved a cycle or two in diagnosing https://crbug.com/809891. (Although it didn't occur to me until just now that I could have asked for chrome://view-http-cache output.)

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:
wither one of the most classic about: urls ;-)

image.png

sgtm

Josh

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/net-dev/CAFswn4moexnY_izqrmRsfvnzpg5eLrf9odRoZaf1RSwwPBWCZg%40mail.gmail.com.

Josh Karlin

Apr 16, 2018, 11:26:09 AM4/16/18
to David Benjamin, Randy Smith, Eric Roman, Darin Fisher, Maksim Orlovich, John Abd-El-Malek, Matt Menke, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-service-dev
I believe about:cache is gone now. It's worth nothing that I recently spoke with some folks on the Ragnarok team (they're in WAT and deal with customers who come across bad ads experiences that slipped through our scanners and need to track them down). They said that about:cache is one of their primary debugging tools with the customer.

Matt Menke

Apr 16, 2018, 11:30:20 AM4/16/18
to Josh Karlin, David Benjamin, Randy Smith, Eric Roman, Darin Fisher, Maksim Orlovich, John Abd-El-Malek, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-service-dev
We could bring it back for them, in a network-service friendly way...or we could make a simple command-line tool for poking at the cache, though suppose that wouldn't work on Android.  Or we could decide it's not worth the maintenance burden, and look for other ways to work with them.

sgtm

Josh

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/net-dev/CAFswn4moexnY_izqrmRsfvnzpg5eLrf9odRoZaf1RSwwPBWCZg%40mail.gmail.com.

Jj Kidder

May 4, 2018, 5:19:10 PM5/4/18
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 5:12:39 PM UTC-4, John Abd-El-Malek wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone uses this internal URL?

This has been my home page. I want to know what my browser remembers about my usage. Please restore this functionality.

Dian Li

May 4, 2018, 11:49:43 PM5/4/18
to net-dev, jka...@chromium.org, davi...@chromium.org, rds...@chromium.org, ero...@chromium.org, da...@chromium.org, morl...@google.com, j...@chromium.org, cshar...@chromium.org, network-s...@chromium.org
Please make it available in the UI.
It seems impossible to dump cache from a incognito session from CLI.

about:cache was a handy and working way to quickly recover something just lost in the incognito mode.

We can't ask bugs to appear only when we are prepared with NetLog or DevTools.

John Abd-El-Malek

May 7, 2018, 2:19:12 PM5/7/18
to Matt Menke, Josh Karlin, David Benjamin, Randy Smith, Eric Roman, Darin Fisher, Maksim Orlovich, Charles Harrison, net-dev, network-service-dev
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:30 AM, Matt Menke <mme...@chromium.org> wrote:
We could bring it back for them, in a network-service friendly way...or

BTW it already worked with the network service when it was removed.

sgtm

Josh

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/net-dev/CAFswn4moexnY_izqrmRsfvnzpg5eLrf9odRoZaf1RSwwPBWCZg%40mail.gmail.com.

Billy Beans

Oct 26, 2018, 10:45:36 PM10/26/18
to net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org

+1 bring it back! Just because it's not useful to you doesn't mean it's not useful to us.

Alexander Rosenberg

Feb 23, 2019, 12:08:18 AM2/23/19
to net-dev, da...@chromium.org, jka...@chromium.org, rds...@chromium.org, morl...@google.com, j...@chromium.org, mme...@chromium.org, cshar...@chromium.org, network-s...@chromium.org
On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 3:21:24 PM UTC-5, Eric Roman wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback all!
>

> I will go ahead and remove chrome://view-http-cache/
>

> The updated NetLog details Randy is adding will hopefully be sufficient for debugging.
>

> If not we can improve it, or resuscitate this feature in the future.
>

> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> wither one of the most classic about: urls ;-)

> >> --

> >> email to net-dev+u...@chromium.org.

> >> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/net-dev/CAFswn4moexnY_izqrmRsfvnzpg5eLrf9odRoZaf1RSwwPBWCZg%40mail.gmail.com.
>

> > --

> > email to net-dev+u...@chromium.org.

> > https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/net-dev/CAANMuaPd2D4-qh0NRP59M3CqOmYvE9KJBOx-A%2BG5c04s-kaV0Q%40mail.gmail.com.
>

> --

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/network-service-dev/CAANMuaPiir35ZqphEiNNV1NaOU9%3DMAbckycpQ0RHRdoEP6qHrg%40mail.gmail.com.
>

> --

Please bring this back! It was extremely useful for many purposes. I only discovered it was gone most recently. The other day, I had several items in a shopping cart on a website (dfrobot.com) that I left open. When I returned to my computer an hour or two later and reloaded the tab, I discovered it was now empty! That's when I attempted to view my cache by heading to chrome://view-http-cache/ . Had I been on the latest version of Chrome, I would have run into the removal of chrome://view-http-cache/ much earlier.

I find it distressing that such a useful feature is removed so hastily just because you (the Chromium devs) refactor things and then no longer wish to maintain existing features. There needs to be a better way to collect feedback from users before taking action on things like this.

Alexander Rosenberg

Feb 23, 2019, 12:16:07 AM2/23/19
to net-dev, da...@chromium.org, jka...@chromium.org, rds...@chromium.org, morl...@google.com, j...@chromium.org, mme...@chromium.org, cshar...@chromium.org, network-s...@chromium.org, alexros...@gmail.com
Sorry, I didn't mean to quote the entire thread! I am new around here. This change provoked me such that I felt the need to resuscitate the discussion.

tru...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2019, 12:18:46 AM3/1/19
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 2:12:39 PM UTC-7, John Abd-El-Malek wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone uses this internal URL?
>

> The context is that with a separate network process, we need a separate API to the network service to implement this. It's not much work, but I wanted to know if people actually use this before adding the additional API surface.
>
> Thanks

As a developer, how do we check what's in the HTTP cache? I want to debug/inspect/analyze what the application is doing, and part of that involves the need to look at what's being cached.

Matt Menke

Mar 1, 2019, 7:00:54 AM3/1/19
to tru...@gmail.com, alexros...@gmail.com, net-dev, network-service-dev
Alexander Rosenberg:  I would have thought that Chrome's history page would work better for your use-case (ctrl-H).  Not only does it record navigation history, things stick around there much longer.  our cache offers no guarantees about how long things are stored in it.

trusktr:  chrome://view-cache was only intended for use for debugging Chrome itself (Hence the unpolished UI, and the fact that it wasn't reachable without typing in the URL directly, or from about:about).  While it's great that some web developers may have found it useful, devtool's network page is the only page with information about Chrome's HTTP cache behavior that was targeted at web developers.  If there's some particular information you want about what's in Chrome's cache, it might be a good idea to file a devtools feature request, and see what that team thinks about it.

Jj Kidder

Mar 1, 2019, 10:10:44 AM3/1/19
to Matt Menke, tru...@gmail.com, alexros...@gmail.com, net-dev, network-service-dev
This issue is keeping me from using Chrome. I want all cookies on my browser gone between every session.  Every plug-in which has promised that has seem to stop working "mysteriously."  At this point, it sure looks to me like Chrome's express purpose is to vacuum up user data.  The removal of the one remaining bit of transparency left in the program cements this idea in my mind.

If cookie details are available to the advertiser, and not forthrightly to the user, that is a betrayal of the trust that is implied by the term "user agent."  It is not the "advertiser network agent," it is the "user agent."

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "net-dev" group.

Matt Menke

Mar 1, 2019, 10:14:22 AM3/1/19
to Jj Kidder, tru...@gmail.com, alexros...@gmail.com, net-dev, network-service-dev
This thread is about chrome://view-cache, which has nothing to do with cookies.

If you don't want anything retained about your browsing session, I'd recommend you use incognito mode.  Not storing any browsing data when the last tab is closed is the entire guarantee of incognito mode, and it does the job better than a plugin could, since it covers all types of data (local storage, index DB, cached server metadata, cookies, cache, service worker cache, etc).  I don't believe extensions access to all of those.

jonatha...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2019, 11:04:11 AM3/1/19
to net-dev, jonatha...@gmail.com, tru...@gmail.com, alexros...@gmail.com, network-s...@chromium.org
What prevents me from using Chrome is the feature which used to be inbuilt to remove all data from the browser afresh each session. This option is available in Firefox ("never remember history"), which incidentally also retains "about:cache".

I use Chrome for testing purposes, so I still need it on my computer. I would appreciate it if it would retain appropriate cultural norms of transparency among its developers.

If Chrome is not willing to tell me what information about me it is storing, how can I trust it as software?

The only way I have to verify this is chrome:cache. Or should i just trust on face value? There are lots of good reasons for restoring the feature in the thread.

Thanks for your attention.

Nick Harper

Mar 1, 2019, 1:30:08 PM3/1/19
to jonatha...@gmail.com, net-dev, tru...@gmail.com, alexros...@gmail.com, network-service-dev
It sounds like the setting you want is "Keep local data only until you quit your browser" in chrome://settings/content/cookies. From that settings page, there's also a link to see all cookies and site data.

jonatha...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2019, 1:48:49 PM3/1/19
to net-dev, jonatha...@gmail.com, tru...@gmail.com, alexros...@gmail.com, network-s...@chromium.org
It has been brought to my attention that the view cache is retained in Chrome six menu layers deep:
sandwich --> chrome://settings/ --> chrome://settings/ (advanced menu pulldown) --> chrome://settings/content --> chrome://settings/content/cookies --> chrome://settings/siteData
(Thanks, Nick!)

I guess I can understand that I thought it had been removed.

It would be nice if it were accessible to the user in a more readily available way.

Jj Kidder

Mar 1, 2019, 2:09:21 PM3/1/19
to net-dev
And/or maybe chrome:cache could redirect to chrome://settings/siteData

PhistucK

Mar 1, 2019, 6:31:58 PM3/1/19
to Jj Kidder, net-dev
Site data and cache are completely different and are mutually exclusive, I believe. Cache was just cache (and probably not even Cache API cache). Site data is any kind of non-cache storage that the website tried to store on your computer (probably excluding Cache API cache, too).

PhistucK

Jj Kidder

Mar 2, 2019, 12:15:33 PM3/2/19
to net-dev
I want to say that I get that Chrome is not Chromium.  I appreciate open source community and coders and do not want to be a troll.

At the same time, Chrome is the reference platform of Chromium, and my distrust of Chrome makes me trust Chromium less.

The specific issue that I have with Chrome is that I want my browser to start each session with a zero'ed state such that my activity is not as track-able to as many sites, for as long.  This is pretty basic security behavior. The extent to which Chrome tries to prevent you de-ID'ing your browser (such as history not erasing with cache flush; Google's cookies re-spawning on cache flush) makes me very uncomfortable.  That's why the removal of a transparency tool I had been using triggered strong emotions.  I apologize for casting aspersions on the community. Regardless of this, I think the concern I raise is warranted and deserves examination.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Jj Kidder

Mar 2, 2019, 12:16:34 PM3/2/19
to net-dev
I get that you can use anonymous mode for this, but it strikes me that that should be default behavior.  This isn't the oughts.

Jj Kidder

Mar 2, 2019, 12:27:11 PM3/2/19
to net-dev
Chrome does not respect it if you tell it that google.com can't set cookies.  I'm sorry who has right of first sale here?

PhistucK

Mar 2, 2019, 12:31:28 PM3/2/19
to Jj Kidder, net-dev
You can start Chrome with --incognito and you will always get incognito mode. You can also use a CMD file that starts Chrome and deletes your profile after it exits. Or use Guest mode.

Most people do not need this kind of feature, so it should definitely not be the default mode. No major browser has such default mode.

I agree with you that the Google Account/google.com cookie situation is inappropriate, though.

PhistucK

Jj Kidder

Mar 2, 2019, 1:37:20 PM3/2/19
to PhistucK, net-dev
I think you're making an assumption that most people don't need this feature (the starting of browser with zero state retained).  I believe that assumption spurious, but i don't think I can convince you. It is still my* desired usage, and that Chrome makes my usage available as a command line option or button you have to press only, along with the burying of the flush state command six layers down in the menu system; and the obfuscation that flushing "everything" does not include browsing history combined with the respawning Google cookie; these all seem like my computer behaving contrary to my wishes and does not commend Chromium to me as anything other than something I have to test for because everyone uses it.

PhistucK

Mar 2, 2019, 4:09:59 PM3/2/19
to Jj Kidder, net-dev
Features are implemented for the majority of users, niche use cases like yours (niche is an assumption, yep) might be catered by other browsers. Not every browser is for everyone.

PhistucK

Jj Kidder

Mar 5, 2019, 10:38:59 AM3/5/19
to PhistucK, net-dev
I know I must seem like a terrible pill about this.

I believe myself to be advocating for an accessibility feature.  So you will please understand that to be my motivation, and forgive me my frustration which has been the reason I have spoken unkind words, which I sincerely regret.

larrowe...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2019, 12:11:53 PM3/18/19
to net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 5:12:39 PM UTC-4, John Abd-El-Malek wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone uses this internal URL?
>

> The context is that with a separate network process, we need a separate API to the network service to implement this. It's not much work, but I wanted to know if people actually use this before adding the additional API surface.
>
> Thanks

I do to view pages offline. Is there any way to bring this back?

justin....@blockpass.org

Nov 15, 2019, 3:42:25 AM11/15/19
to net-dev, network-s...@chromium.org
Today I find myself having a serious interest in getting a rough feel of what JS libraries are in my HTTP cache, and in particular, what is sitting there from various CDNs (e.g. cdnjs).  After seeing many unresolved discussions around whether it's 'better' to bundle everything into WebPack chunks, or use external libraries from well-known URLs because there is a reasonable chance that a major library at a current version will already be sitting in my browser cache, and finding absolutely no metrics or actual performance analysis, just a bunch of people with opinions and hunches, a good place to start seemed to be having a look at what is in MY cache, which might inform further investigation.

But I can't.

I'm using a Chromebook.  Perhaps if I had a different OS that let me into the file-system, I could dig around and I might get somewhere.  But it seems that I am completely locked out from finding out what resources I have already on my local storage.   This feels 'wrong'.   (I even dug through CROSH commands because it seemed so improbable that this wasn't possible.)

Unfortunately, my 'dev' mode Chromebook is several thousand kilometres away for the next few weeks, and it doesn't get much use so that would tilt the results.

I could install Chromium in Crostini, but that wouldn't have the 'normal use' cache history I need.

I think, especially for Chrome-OS users, but also in general, and after seeing others comments here (well, the more 'informed' ones) an ability to get an insight into what is in the HTTP cache might be a very-rarely-used but an extremely-valuable-when-needed feature.

I assume that without whatever made the old chrome://*-cache URLs work, there's no way a plugin developer could provide this either.

Is there some really simple capability that could be provided with minimal effort, to just list URLs and associate cache metadata?