Layout Team Weekly Snippets - October 30, 2017

Emil A Eklund

Oct 30, 2017, 1:48:32 PM10/30/17
to layou...@chromium.org, Philip Rogers
Updates since October 16:
- Implemented support for proper paint order for LayoutNG, running the
full set of paint phases.
- Added performance test for shaping and line breaking.
- Refactored object painting logic to allow code re-use between legacy
and LayoutNG.
- 2018 planning.
- Tons of bug triage.

This week:
- Preparing for TPAC.

Please reply-all with your own update for last week and also indicate
if any of the proposed topics sounds interesting to you or if you have
another one you'd like to add to the agenda.

Aleks Totic

Oct 30, 2017, 7:50:26 PM10/30/17
to Emil A Eklund, layout-dev, Philip Rogers

This week's plans: inline abspos, and ResizeObserver instrumentation, participate in that "Intro to Chrome" summit.

## LayoutNG

Continued work in absolute positioning: the last big missing functionality is absolute inlines. The work can be split into 3 parts:

1) computing static position

2) propagating inline OOF descendants

3) inline containing blocks

Checked in some preliminary work on 1 & 2, awaiting review of the final CL. I like the way it looks right now, lots of new passing tests.

738870: [LayoutNG] Inline static position and OOFDescendant propagation

736891 736820  736901 Refactor NGFragmentBuilder OOF utility methods into NGContainerFragmentBuilder.

[abspos]  722760  Always add positioned objects to Legacy OOF container. This fix was necessary for correct overflow computation by Legacy code. With this fix, only 1 basic overflow test still fails, scrollbars.

## Finished work on test-expectations

This concludes my work on new test-expectations. It has reached feature parity with the old page.

@quearsley will try to make it the default before he leaves blink-infra.

729148 jj/k, plain text wrapped

## 3 LGTMs on ResizeObserver

LGTM1 from dglazgov, LGTM2 from foolip, LGTM3 from chrishtr on Oct 17

Should I ship? A few weeks ago, we had a big discussion about events vs. observer for ResizeObserver.

There is still one unanswered question: performance implications of event capture. I'd like to get some

instrumentation answers this week, finish the discussion, and ship.

### Misc

[README] Waiting for lgtm from emil. Add pointer from README.md to BlockLayout.md

Philip Rogers

Oct 31, 2017, 12:24:29 PM10/31/17
to Aleks Totic, Emil A Eklund, layout-dev
Lots of progress towards root layer scrolling (RLS). We are down to ~200 failing RLS layout tests!

From the past two weeks:
Ensured scrollbars are laid out before hit testing which fixed an existing bug (and a RLS bug).
Made TreeScope hit testing RLS-aware, fixed 2 RLS tests
Made VisualViewport size RLS-aware, fixed 11 RLS tests
Removed spurious RLS expectations, fixed 40 RLS tests
Added a third layout pass for vertical scrollbars, fixed 24 RLS tests
Fixed dialog centering logic, fixed 2 RLS tests

Misc:
Removed inert visual viewport setting
Removed crash from ThemePainter PaintSearchFieldCancelButton
Renamed "rwt.flag" to "additional-driver-flag.setting"
Added svg and all of plat/gfx as SPV2 trybot triggers
Fixed formatting of modules/canvas/OWNERS
Build sheriff for two days

Steve Kobes

Oct 31, 2017, 12:40:01 PM10/31/17
to Philip Rogers, Aleks Totic, Emil A Eklund, layout-dev
- OOO vacation part of the week
- RLS: mark main frame scrollbars opaque (crrev.com/511727)
- RLS: rebaselined 59 layout tests under compositing/ (crrev.com/511886)
- try-flag trigger step in review (crrev.com/c/740292), used in crrev.com/512044
- did some more digging on crbug.com/758130 (reusing disposed child FrameViews)
- prep "Life of a Pixel"

Emil A Eklund

Oct 31, 2017, 1:19:24 PM10/31/17
to Steve Kobes, Philip Rogers, Aleks Totic, layout-dev
I'm canceling the meeting today (sorry for the late notice) as it
overlaps with a mandatory internal event.

Ian Kilpatrick

Oct 31, 2017, 1:31:13 PM10/31/17
to Emil A Eklund, Steve Kobes, Philip Rogers, Aleks Totic, layout-dev
Last week:
 - Primarily worked on a patch to get line-boxes avoiding floats properly. (Almost at the end of the line-by-line refactoring).
 - Working on plan for deprecating / removing -webkit-box implementation.

This week:
 - Out for 2 days (thurs / fri) so just planning on tieing up a few loose ends & TPAC prep.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Emil A Eklund <e...@chromium.org> wrote:
I'm canceling the meeting today (sorry for the late notice) as it
overlaps with a mandatory internal event.

Xiaocheng Hu

Oct 31, 2017, 1:55:58 PM10/31/17
to Ian Kilpatrick, Emil A Eklund, Steve Kobes, Philip Rogers, Aleks Totic, layout-dev
Last two weeks:
- Finished support of position canonicalization with Layout NG (other than contenteditable)
- Converting offset mapping APIs to take positions instead of (node, offset) pairs

This week:
- Finish the offset mapping API conversion
- Sync meeting with editing team (notes). May re-prioritize some tasks

Christian Biesinger

Oct 31, 2017, 1:58:29 PM10/31/17
to Xiaocheng Hu, Ian Kilpatrick, eae, Steve Kobes, Philip Rogers, Aleks Totic, layou...@chromium.org
Status update:
Returned from personal leave! Now catching up on emails. Will be in the Bay area and say hi to y'all this week and next.

Koji Ishii

Nov 1, 2017, 1:26:47 AM11/1/17
to Christian Biesinger, Xiaocheng Hu, Ian Kilpatrick, eae, Steve Kobes, Philip Rogers, Aleks Totic, layout-dev
Welcome back Christian!

Updates since October 16:
- Continue working on VisualRect and NGPaintFragment with chrishtr@.
- NG paint is now enabled only for inline children.
- Started eliminating InlineBox dependencies in LayoutInline/LayoutText.
- Continue working on reverse hosting (RunOldLayout) for 'user-modify'
  and some other properties we're not planning to support in short term.
- Investigating some crash bugs.

This week:
- Continue VisualRect and NGPaintFragment.
- Continue reverse hosting.
- Japan holiday (Nov 3) and some personal events
- Some standardization work.

Dominik Röttsches

Nov 1, 2017, 7:13:01 AM11/1/17
to Koji Ishii, Christian Biesinger, Xiaocheng Hu, Ian Kilpatrick, eae, Steve Kobes, Philip Rogers, Aleks Totic, layout-dev
  • Intent to Ship for text-decoration-skip-ink: auto, approved, yay!

  • Fix for running layout tests on other Debian flavoured linux distros, GCS font downloads

  • Two CLs for animating font-weight smoothly across the weight variation axis

  • Struggling to land HarfBuzz roll, rootcaused to infra issues with mac builds compiling against different SDK versions... *sigh*

Next:
Implement text-decoration-skip-ink and deprecate old property text-decoration-skip.