PSA: minor change to "git cl try": will no longer send "reason" try job property.

Quinten Yearsley

Oct 25, 2016, 4:35:14 PM10/25/16
to chrome-infrastructure-announce, infra-a...@chromium.org
Currently, when triggering try jobs with git cl try, it will send a "reason" property which is set to the current local branch name by default, and this can be overridden with the --name option.

crrev.com/2428383010 would remove this option and stop sending the "reason" property when triggering try jobs with git cl try. The "reason" property could still be sent by adding "-p reason=some-reason".

Any objections to this?

Elliott Sprehn

Oct 25, 2016, 4:43:34 PM10/25/16
to Quinten Yearsley, chrome-infrastr...@google.com, infra-a...@chromium.org

What is the reason used for?

Aaron Gable

Oct 25, 2016, 5:01:45 PM10/25/16
to Elliott Sprehn, Quinten Yearsley, chrome-infrastr...@google.com, infra-a...@chromium.org
It gets displayed by buildbot in the "reason" field: https://build.chromium.org/p/tryserver.chromium.linux/builders/chromium_presubmit/builds/289187

However, I don't think anyone ever looks at that field, and I think buildbucket overrides any reason set by git-cl-try anyway.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 1:43 PM Elliott Sprehn <esp...@chromium.org> wrote:

What is the reason used for?

On Oct 25, 2016 1:35 PM, "'Quinten Yearsley' via infra-announce" <infra-a...@chromium.org> wrote:
Currently, when triggering try jobs with git cl try, it will send a "reason" property which is set to the current local branch name by default, and this can be overridden with the --name option.

crrev.com/2428383010 would remove this option and stop sending the "reason" property when triggering try jobs with git cl try. The "reason" property could still be sent by adding "-p reason=some-reason".

Any objections to this?

Andrii Shyshkalov

Oct 26, 2016, 5:47:59 AM10/26/16
to infra-announce, esp...@chromium.org, qyea...@google.com, chrome-infrastr...@google.com
Tracking bug for this: http://crbug.com/659552,
where the same field is removed from properties set by CQ as well.