PSA: Monitoring Chromium tarball creation failures

Raphael Kubo da Costa

Nov 9, 2017, 6:14:37 AM11/9/17
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Hi all,

We've often complained here when Chromium tarballs are missing, but most
of us end up not investigating what's causing the tarballs not to be
created.

I've recently created a watchlist so that I'm notified whenever the
publish_tarball bot [1] fails. For example, I received a couple of
emails today telling me M63 tarballs are not being generated, which
prompted me to send a CL with a tentative fix.

If anyone else is interested in monitoring the bot's health, you can
subscribe to the same watchlist by:
1. Cloning https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/tools/build.git
2. Adding your email address to gatekeeper.json, just look for
"publish_tarball" and send a Gerrit CL. See [2] for example.
3. If you don't have a google.com or chromium.org email address, you'll
need to whitelist your domain as well. See [3].

Don't forget to take your CL(s) off the WIP state and CC the appropriate
reviewers (feel free to CC me too).

[1] https://ci.chromium.org/buildbot/chromium.infra.cron/publish_tarball/
[2] https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/tools/build/+/744043
[3] https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/tools/build/+/749202

Olivier Tilloy

Nov 10, 2017, 9:49:39 AM11/10/17
to Raphael Kubo da Costa, chromium-...@chromium.org
On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Raphael Kubo da Costa
<raphael.ku...@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've often complained here when Chromium tarballs are missing, but most
> of us end up not investigating what's causing the tarballs not to be
> created.
>
> I've recently created a watchlist so that I'm notified whenever the
> publish_tarball bot [1] fails. For example, I received a couple of
> emails today telling me M63 tarballs are not being generated, which
> prompted me to send a CL with a tentative fix.

Thanks Raphael. Hopefully your CL lands soon and tarballs for M62 and
M63 can be generated again. Do you know if the tarball for
63.0.3239.40 will be generated again once the fix is landed? That
would be handy.

> If anyone else is interested in monitoring the bot's health, you can
> subscribe to the same watchlist by:
> 1. Cloning https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/tools/build.git
> 2. Adding your email address to gatekeeper.json, just look for
> "publish_tarball" and send a Gerrit CL. See [2] for example.
> 3. If you don't have a google.com or chromium.org email address, you'll
> need to whitelist your domain as well. See [3].
>
> Don't forget to take your CL(s) off the WIP state and CC the appropriate
> reviewers (feel free to CC me too).
>
> [1] https://ci.chromium.org/buildbot/chromium.infra.cron/publish_tarball/
> [2] https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/tools/build/+/744043
> [3] https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/tools/build/+/749202

Raphael Kubo da Costa

Nov 10, 2017, 10:01:46 AM11/10/17
to Olivier Tilloy, chromium-...@chromium.org
Olivier Tilloy <olivier...@canonical.com> writes:

> Do you know if the tarball for 63.0.3239.40 will be generated again
> once the fix is landed? That would be handy.

I believe so. I've been receiving several emails a day with the same
error messages for the same versions.

The code [1] that handles the publishing of new tarballs basically
queries omahaproxy.appspot.com and triggers the build of any versions
that are not present in the chromium-browser-official Google Storage
bucket, so it'll keep trying to build them until it succeeds and uploads
the tarballs to GS.

[1] https://chromium.googlesource.com/infra/infra.git/+/master/recipes/recipes/publish_tarball.py

juanka...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2017, 10:11:36 AM11/10/17
to chromium-packagers
when
would be a possible deadline for recieve the tarball?

>i'm the mantainer of a chromium-based browser

Olivier Tilloy

Nov 10, 2017, 10:22:37 AM11/10/17
to Raphael Kubo da Costa, chromium-...@chromium.org
On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Raphael Kubo da Costa
<raphael.ku...@intel.com> wrote:
> Olivier Tilloy <olivier...@canonical.com> writes:
>
>> Do you know if the tarball for 63.0.3239.40 will be generated again
>> once the fix is landed? That would be handy.
>
> I believe so. I've been receiving several emails a day with the same
> error messages for the same versions.
>
> The code [1] that handles the publishing of new tarballs basically
> queries omahaproxy.appspot.com and triggers the build of any versions
> that are not present in the chromium-browser-official Google Storage
> bucket, so it'll keep trying to build them until it succeeds and uploads
> the tarballs to GS.

Perfect, thanks again Raphael!