Project Crostini on Chromebook Pixel 2015 (samus)

Ihor Dvoretskyi

Aug 21, 2018, 10:49:31 AM8/21/18
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Following the question asked here - https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/chromium-os-dev/SLqo86Xjs1o/yTjuMcVmDwAJ

It's explicitly mentioned here [1], that:
a) BayTrail devices are not supported;
b) Linux 3.10 or older kernels are not supported.

Chromebook Pixel 2015 (samus) is a Broadwell device with the kernel version 3.14, and it satisfies both requirements. It's not an ARM device as well.

At the same time, samus is not mentioned here [2]. Any details on samus?

1. https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/docs/+/master/containers_and_vms.md#hardware-requirements
2. https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/docs/+/master/containers_and_vms.md#supported-now

Mike Frysinger

Aug 21, 2018, 10:54:55 AM8/21/18
to Ihor Dvoretskyi, chromium-os-dev
well, the answer is the same as the thread you've referenced.

the only decisions we've made are enumerated in the doc you've referenced.  if you don't see it listed in the doc, we haven't made a decision yet.
-mike

Ihor Dvoretskyi

Aug 21, 2018, 10:56:01 AM8/21/18
to Mike Frysinger, chromiu...@chromium.org
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Denny Lockhart

Aug 22, 2018, 7:30:22 PM8/22/18
to Chromium OS Development, vap...@chromium.org
Ihor,

That document you referenced above has recently been updated under the 'Old Kernels' section:
So it looks like the decisions been made.
Sorry to be that messenger, I was hoping my lulu would eventually get it too.

~Denny

Mike Frysinger

Aug 23, 2018, 1:24:55 AM8/23/18
to Dennis Lockhart, chromium-os-dev
the section you reference doesn't say anything about lulu or samus
-mike

Denny Lockhart

Aug 23, 2018, 10:09:37 AM8/23/18
to Chromium OS Development, denny.l...@gmail.com
Mike,

Sorry if I misinterpreted what the update to the README means, I didn't intend to but I guess (& hope) I may have.
I thought the statement "There are no plans to support Linux 3.14 or older." was referring to the Broadwell devices with kernel 3.14 / x86_64 and possibly others.
It's true the codenames lulu or  samus do not appear so now I'm wondering that if they are not explicitly mentioned that they are still being considered? I'm still bit confused I guess.

I really appreciate that document and the efforts to keep it updated, it's been very helpful especially in the early stages of the Termina/Crostini project; I'm still trying to understand all the nuances though and I guess I occasionally fall short.

~Denny

Mike Frysinger

Aug 23, 2018, 2:27:43 PM8/23/18
to Dennis Lockhart, chromium-os-dev
we've only decided that we're not going to support linux-3.14 and older.  we've also only decided that we're not going to support specific devices that have been listed in the doc.  there remains an undecided gap in between into which lulu & samus fall.
-mike

Denny Lockhart

Aug 23, 2018, 6:00:00 PM8/23/18
to Chromium OS Development, denny.l...@gmail.com
Much appreciated, that definitely helps. I was reading it too literally I think.

~Denny

Reiss Cashmore

Sep 2, 2018, 6:32:29 PM9/2/18
to Chromium OS Development, denny.l...@gmail.com
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the clarification. Is there anything the community can do or help with in terms of the decision making process or even the development in anyway, for these two devices.

Thanks

Mike Frysinger

Sep 3, 2018, 12:52:41 AM9/3/18
to Reiss Cashmore, chromium-os-dev, Dennis Lockhart
unfortunately not. we're aware of these devices and are trying to figure out how/if we can make it happen.
-mike

Damian Zwierzchowski

Sep 11, 2018, 11:47:19 AM9/11/18
to Chromium OS Development
Dear Mike, I would like to kindly ask; is there any update? This is really important to me :)

Mike Frysinger

Sep 11, 2018, 11:49:32 AM9/11/18
to d.zw...@gmail.com, chromium-os-dev
you can check the doc for the latest news:

if there's no update there, there's no news.  sorry.
-mike

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 11:47 AM Damian Zwierzchowski <d.zw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Mike, I would like to kindly ask; is there any update? This is really important to me :)

Denny Lockhart

Sep 23, 2018, 1:33:45 PM9/23/18
to Chromium OS Development, d.zw...@gmail.com
I recently discovered these two labels -
And found some references to samus (broadwell) like this one:
I also found references to some devices with 3.18 kernels like cyan (braswell)  & caroliine (skylake).

I could be way off base of course but this looks like work is being done to update some of these devices with older kernels - I sure hope so.

~Denny

Andrew Q

Sep 25, 2018, 9:56:13 PM9/25/18
to Chromium OS Development, d.zw...@gmail.com
Sounds great, thanks for the update.

Denny Lockhart

Sep 25, 2018, 10:54:07 PM9/25/18
to Chromium OS Development, d.zw...@gmail.com
I hope so, it could just be normal testing they run all devices through and not mean anything more.
Even if it is a kernel upgrade it may not come to fruition on all the ones it's being trialed on.

But it does sound great.

David Brown

Oct 16, 2018, 9:12:38 PM10/16/18
to Chromium OS Development, d.zw...@gmail.com
I'm sooooo hopeful that samus / Chromebook Pixel 2015 will be granted this support!

This is by far my favorite device out of all of the Pixel laptop and tablet bunch.

@Mike - please let me know if there's anything I can provide to assist in this decision being made.

Kind regards,
-David

Paco GB

Oct 17, 2018, 12:41:01 PM10/17/18
to Chromium OS Development
+1000 Samus is such a great laptop

@mike let us know if we can support anyhow

Deven Desai

Nov 27, 2018, 12:46:27 PM11/27/18
to Chromium OS Development
Agreed! and Seconded. Happy to support somehow :)

Chris Autwell

Nov 29, 2018, 3:59:43 AM11/29/18
to Chromium OS Development
Please Google, make this happen so I can do a happy dance!

Žiga Vrtačič

Jan 9, 2019, 12:44:33 PM1/9/19
to Chromium OS Development
The good people of Google - are there any updates about Crostini support on Samus?
Pweaaaaase </3

David Sohn

Jan 14, 2019, 9:36:54 PM1/14/19
to Chromium OS Development, ziga.v...@gmail.com
Lulu is also a great machine. Hope both Samus and Lulu gets the support.

Feb 28, 2019, 7:33:00 AM2/28/19
to Chromium OS Development
Soooo disappointing.  I originally bought this machine in hopes of making it my go to dev box.  Please enable support for the Pixel 2015. My feelings are hurt as an early adopter. :-( the hardware spec is still fantastic, so no reason to upgrade.

Carlos Serrano

Mar 14, 2019, 1:51:29 AM3/14/19
to Chromium OS Development, d.zw...@gmail.com
Hey Mike. Might there be some good news coming around the corner for the Chromebook Pixel 2015 and linux app support?

Thanks,

Carlos

Benjamin Staffin

Mar 14, 2019, 5:31:40 PM3/14/19
to Chromium OS Development, d.zw...@gmail.com
I have no idea if it's going to actually ship, but I see at least a little bit of evidence that someone is trying to do something about a kernel update for Samus:

Message has been deleted

Ihor Dvoretskyi

Jun 8, 2019, 3:06:43 PM6/8/19
to chromiu...@chromium.org

Lothar Werzinger

Jan 22, 2020, 6:31:08 PM1/22/20
to Chromium OS Development
Still hoping for an update for the still excellent and super fast Chromebook Pixel 2015.

Lothar Werzinger

Feb 7, 2020, 7:49:14 AM2/7/20
to Chromium OS Development
With the latest update - Version 80.0.3987.76 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

Linux (Beta) is now available on my Pixel

Denny Lockhart

Feb 7, 2020, 11:51:29 AM2/7/20
to Chromium OS Development, ziga.v...@gmail.com, david....@gmail.com
And for those like me waiting on Lulu to get Crostini, wait no more -

~Denny