Chrome IPC legacy Conversion Status

Dave Tapuska

Jul 6, 2020, 1:40:49 PM7/6/20
to platform-architecture-dev, chromium-mojo, Mario Sanchez Prada, Gary Klassen
I looked back and I haven't sent an update about the legacy IPC conversion status in a long time. We are continually making progress. There are roughly 92 (routed) messages left in the content layer, about 11 of them remaining are pepper related, and 19 of them are media player delegate (which is still waiting on a design approval for). But there is still lots of work to be done.

RenderWidget which stood at 3831 lines a year ago has been pruned down to 2120 lines, reduced roughly by 45% (with the ultimate goal of its removal).

I will be creating some additional bugs for outside of the content layer going forward so that we continue to have a mix of difficult and easy bugs. OKRs set for the quarter had focus on the content layer. So we should still ensure that all content IPC messages have an owner assigned to them before proceeding with the non-content ones.

The master tracking issue is:

8/28/201911/8/201912/18/20191/28/20202/11/20202/19/20202/24/20203/2/20205/11/20205/19/20206/15/20207/6/2020
Content2962642552142001821791761271199792
Other199193194191191192192192191187187184
Chromium TOTAL495457449406391374371368318306284276

image.png

Kentaro Hara

Jul 7, 2020, 1:59:30 AM7/7/20
to Dave Tapuska, platform-architecture-dev, chromium-mojo, Mario Sanchez Prada, Gary Klassen
Thanks Dave for driving all of the work! And thank you very much Igalia and all other contributors for making excellent progress toward the legacy IPC deprecation.

The legacy IPC deprecation has massively simplified the design of BFcache and Multiple Blink Isolates and improved our engineering velocity!

I will be creating some additional bugs for outside of the content layer going forward so that we continue to have a mix of difficult and easy bugs. OKRs set for the quarter had focus on the content layer. So we should still ensure that all content IPC messages have an owner assigned to them before proceeding with the non-content ones.

A big +1 to this direction!

Kentaro Hara, Tokyo, Japan

Mario Sanchez Prada

Jul 7, 2020, 4:49:05 AM7/7/20
to Kentaro Hara, Dave Tapuska, platform-architecture-dev, chromium-mojo, Gary Klassen

On 7/7/20 7:59, 'Kentaro Hara' via chromium-mojo wrote:

Thanks Dave for driving all of the work!

I'd also would like to publicly thank Dave for leading this effort and for patiently and tirelessly helping us by filing and triaging new issues, reviewing our code and answering all our questions. This conversion is a lot of work and having a person like him coordinating this effort along with such a talented set of reviewers providing high quality, constructive and helpful feedback in such a responsive way makes a huge positive difference, so BIG kudos to all of them!

And thank you very much Igalia and all other contributors for making excellent progress toward the legacy IPC deprecation.

Thanks Kentaro for the kind words, much appreciated! I'm personally very happy to see that burndown chart going in the right direction, looking forward to the next batch of conversions!

Cheers,
Mario