Chrome apps shut down, what's the plan?

chrisac...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2020, 12:59:04 AM1/16/20
to chromium-hterm
Got this from Google. What's the plan? Thanks.

Hello Chrome App Developer,

As we previously announced in 2016, changes in support for Chrome Apps on Windows, MacOS and Linux will begin starting March 2020. We are writing to let you know the details about this plan, along with some important updates about ending Chrome app support on Chrome OS.

What do I need to know?

Starting this year, we will no longer provide support according to the following schedule. Please note, these timelines are for Chrome Apps only, and do not impact Chrome Extensions.

Scheduled DateAction
March 2020Chrome Web Store will stop accepting new Chrome apps
June 2020Chrome Apps on Windows, Mac, and Linux will no longer be supported. Customers who have Chrome Enterprise or Chrome Education Upgrade will have access to a policy to extend support through December 2020.
June 2021NaCl, PNaCl, and PPAPI APIs will no longer be supported. Chrome Apps on Chrome OS will no longer be supported. Customers who have Chrome Enterprise or Chrome Education Upgrade will have access to a policy to extend support through June 2022.
June 2022Chrome Apps will no longer be supported on Chrome OS for all customers.

What do I need to do?

  • Assess your alternatives and plan to migrate off Chrome Apps to other solutions in the coming months, such as Progressive Web Apps (PWAs), Android apps (for Chrome OS), and/or Chrome Extensions.
  • Migrate before June 2021, keeping your users in mind so that they have sufficient time to switch to your new product.

Mike Frysinger

Jan 17, 2020, 3:05:54 AM1/17/20
to chromiu...@chromium.org
tl;dr: rest assured that the ssh extension will keep working. if you don't care about the details, you can stop reading :). if there are any important updates or notifications, they will go out via the app & this mailing list.

I've been working on the wasm port and with other chromium devs for a few years now to minimize user disruptions. I have a pending CL to clarify & document all of this, but was waiting on feedback from product teams before landing. I didn't think this specific announcement was going to go out before I had a chance to land, but oh well.

when I get back from vacation later this month, I'll sync up with the teams again and settle some details. I'll need to refresh the CL anyways to include this new announcement.

fwiw, i already have poc WASM builds of OpenSSH in the tree. we're working on the JS parts now and will hopefully have those available for dogfood by end of June 2020.

if people are worried about non-CrOS, they can use the extension that I released a few years back. that will work on all platforms and is not affected by the chrome app specific deprecation.
-mike

Christoffer Olofsson

Jan 17, 2020, 6:47:49 AM1/17/20
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Oh, I wasn't able to find the extension yesterday. Thanks, found it now!

Robert Campbell

Jan 17, 2020, 8:59:42 AM1/17/20
to chromium-hterm
Brave currently doesn't support NaCL, so does this mean that in the future with the WASM builds, that it should theoretically work on Brave? By "poc WASM builds of OpenSSH" mean that you have some builds that work strictly by WASM? Would those theoretically work on something like Brave? How might an early-adopter like myself test one of these?

Mike Frysinger

Jan 17, 2020, 10:21:37 AM1/17/20
to Robert Campbell, chromium-hterm
i suspect that, until the web platform adds the necessary socket functionality, Secure Shell will (mostly) remain Chrome-only.

i've pinged the people holding up my CL that covers this in the docs so hopefully will have more info later as to the new requirements.
-mike

Theodore Dubois

Jan 17, 2020, 12:34:31 PM1/17/20
to Mike Frysinger, Robert Campbell, chromium-hterm
How will the WASM version of the nassh extension access sockets? Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the only direct socket APIs in Chrome are chrome.socket (only available in Chrome apps which are being deprecated) and NaCL (now being deprecated).

~Theodore
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-hterm/CAAbOScm4q8NC1gs_LhUTtjNzKRpBbHgBmQJyeOdOGut8ZNdvJg%40mail.gmail.com.

Andrew Stone

Jan 19, 2020, 4:56:59 PM1/19/20
to Theodore Dubois, Mike Frysinger, Robert Campbell, chromium-hterm

Theodore Dubois

Jan 19, 2020, 5:46:48 PM1/19/20
to Andrew Stone, Mike Frysinger, Robert Campbell, chromium-hterm
Are there plans to open that API to extensions not written by Google?

~Theodore

Theodore Dubois

Jan 19, 2020, 5:59:57 PM1/19/20
to Theodore Dubois, Andrew Stone, Mike Frysinger, Robert Campbell, chromium-hterm

sus...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2020, 11:26:14 PM1/20/20
to chromium-hterm
Please share the link!

Mike Frysinger

Jan 20, 2020, 11:35:43 PM1/20/20
to sus...@gmail.com, chromium-hterm

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "chromium-hterm" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-hterm/1ab1e79b-917a-4212-ab17-b63b039c3745%40chromium.org.

Colm Buckley

Jan 22, 2020, 6:19:36 PM1/22/20
to Mike Frysinger, sus...@gmail.com, chromium-hterm
Experimentally switched to the extension from the app; I like the way you can quickly select a client from the dropdown menu, all the other functionality seems to be just fine.

One piece of muscle memory is tripping me up - ctrl-shift-N in the app brings up a new window at the connection dialog; in the extension it brings up a second connection to the current client. Is that an intentional change? I'm used to hitting ctrl-shift-N to bring up a new connection; but it's rarely to the same host.

Otherwise this was close to a no-op replacement.

Colm

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-hterm/CAAbOSckR_8BUbo8bVONmYt07ObqmNVqtkrmEPTujjg8BobAwDQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Colm Buckley | Corp Eng Tech Lead | +353 87 2469146

Mike Frysinger

Jan 24, 2020, 3:54:42 PM1/24/20
to Colm Buckley, sus...@gmail.com, chromium-hterm
that behavior wasn't intentional.  i filed https://crbug.com/1045581 to track.