Announcing the Secure Shell "dev channel", and SecureShell-dev-0.8.0.2

Robert Ginda

May 10, 2012, 7:58:25 PM5/10/12
to chromium-hterm
Hi folks,

I'm happy to announce that Secure Shell now comes in a "dev" flavor.  If you want to try out the latest fixes or features, and don't mind a bit of a rough ride at times, then this is for you.

The setup is a little different from Chrome's notion of channels.  With Secure Shell, we actually have two apps in the store.  You can install both at the same time, and even *use* them both at the same time.

In order to get access to the dev version, you must be a member of the chromium-hterm mailing list (which you are, if you're getting this mail).  After that, it's as easy as installing "Secure Shell (dev)" from <https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/okddffdblfhhnmhodogpojmfkjmhinfp>.  You won't be able to find the app in the web store search (even if you're a member of chromium-hterm), so keep the direct link handy.  If you're not a member of this list, the link will display something like "The item could not be found.  The owner may have removed it."

You'll notice that the dev version has a completely different icon and slightly different name, in order to make it easy to distinguish from the stable (aka, Beta) version.

Keep in mind that if you have a Chromebook and you install the dev version, then that's what you'll get when you press Ctrl-Alt-T.  If it stops working you can revert back to stable by disabling (or uninstalling) the dev version.

Now, about SecureShell-dev-0.8.0.2...

* It's got (preliminary) support for key-based authentication!  It needs a lot of polish, but it'll get you logged in.
* It's also got a number of terminal correctness fixes, including the "missing lines at the bottom of the terminal" issue, and "terminal sometimes hangs when printing binary data".

Rob.

joel...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2012, 9:47:03 AM7/17/12
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Is there still a dev version?  I can't seem to find it by searching in the web store or by following your link.

Thanks,

joel

Robert Ginda

Jul 17, 2012, 11:15:37 AM7/17/12
to joel...@gmail.com, chromiu...@chromium.org
You need to be signed in to an account that is subscribed to this mailing list in order to use the link.

Rob.