Manifest V3: Rough Timeline

Jeffrey Wear

Apr 1, 2019, 2:54:19 PM4/1/19
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Hey folks,

Can you share a rough timeline for any parts of the manifest V3 work? In October, James Wagner wrote that it'd happen in 2019, although I don't see any dates in the public draft doc.

I'm particularly curious whether any parts of that might go live "before" or "outside" of the manifest V3 process too, like how the behavior of cross-origin fetches has already changed.

I can understand things still being in flux for sure, just trying to get a heads-up well in advance of any changes. We may have missed the announcement but the cross-origin fetch changes caught us by surprise.

If there's any way for us to follow updates here "passively", like subscribe to a mailing list, that'd be great too. (I'm subscribed to new posts in this forum, I mean something more specific than that.)

Thanks,
Jeff
Lead Engineer, Mixmax

Simeon Vincent

Apr 1, 2019, 6:04:11 PM4/1/19
to Chromium Extensions
The extensions team is currently working on a "developer preview" release of the Manifest V3 platform in Canary. We want to get this in the community's hands so y'all can start experimenting, talking to each other, and sharing feedback on what capabilities we need to tweak. This release will be incomplete and likely a bit rough around the edges. We're hoping to ship the dev preview in the next few months, but we don't have a specific date.

Timing of milestones after that will depend on a number of factors including (but not limited to) implementing other MV3 features and iteration based on dev preview feedback.

Simeon - @dotproto
Extensions Developer Advocate

je...@mixmax.com

Apr 1, 2019, 6:09:06 PM4/1/19
to Chromium Extensions
Great, thanks Simeon!

Will further updates about the timeline, including but not limited to the developer preview, be posted in this forum? (Or should I subscribe to those some other way)

Also, are there any projects related to manifest V3 that are planned to ship earlier than manifest V3, similar to the cross-origin fetch changes? I want to make sure that we compensate for such changes if necessary, like how the cross-origin fetch changes required us to compensate.

Simeon Vincent

Apr 1, 2019, 7:55:41 PM4/1/19
to Chromium Extensions
Will further updates about the timeline, including but not limited to the developer preview, be posted in this forum? (Or should I subscribe to those some other way)

Yes, we'll be sharing updates in this group. This isn't the perfect forum for general purpose extensions platform updates, but it's the best one Chromium has at the moment.

Also, are there any projects related to manifest V3 that are planned to ship earlier than [or outside of] manifest V3[?]

There are most likely other changes that won't be tied to the manifest_version field incrementing, but unfortunately I don't know what they are off hand. I'll look into this.