Deprecating and removing downloads.drag()

Simeon Vincent

Aug 12, 2019, 9:36:12 PM8/12/19
to Chromium Extensions
Hey extension developers,

Chrome is deprecating chrome.download.drag() as of today and we plan to remove it entirely in M77.

This API is virtually unused in the wild; our metrics show that < 0.001% of users have used this API in the last 7 days. Given this low usage and outstanding bugs related to this API, we can no longer justify the cost of maintenance.

Simeon - @dotproto
Extensions Developer Advocate

yuana y

Sep 16, 2019, 6:33:25 AM9/16/19
to Chromium Extensions
Hi
i've developed a chrome extension using chrome.download.drag() API, and it's been use by 700 people, and now that drag doesn't work, so what is the best solution for replacing chrome.download.drag() API?

Simeon Vincent

Sep 16, 2019, 7:34:26 PM9/16/19
to Chromium Extensions
There is no direct replacement. Users will need to locate the file in a file manager (Explorer on Windows, Finder on Mac, etc.) and drag the file into their desired application. You can use chrome.downloads.show() to show the file in the user's file manager.