Google-Chrome Browser Can't Open Profile

Ken Mandelberg

Feb 23, 2013, 11:22:56 AM2/23/13
to chromium...@chromium.org
I keep running into this problem on the Google-Chrome beta browser on Linux.

Chrome works fine for hours opening links on pages and opening new tabs
when I click on a new link from thunderbird or invoke chrome from the
command line.

Then suddenly I click on a link in thunderbird and instead of opening a
tab in the running chrome, it gives me a popup saying it can't open my
profile, some functionality will be lost and starts a new chrome instance.

Both old and new instance continue to work, but if I exit I lose the
tabs in the original chrome instance.

Sometimes I can go a day without this happening, sometimes much less.

This has been going on for at least a month, and I do update the beta
from the channel when it changes, so its not a particular release.

Any ideas?

Chris Veerabadran

Jul 10, 2013, 11:18:53 AM7/10/13
to chromium...@chromium.org
Go to Start menu C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Google\  (for Windows)

(replace the username with yours without the brackets)

Delete the "Chrome" folder or move the "Chrome" folder to another place.

Uninstall the Chrome app and reinstall again.

Your new Chrome browser will start without an error, you've to relogin and create new profiles. This seems to be the only way for now. I tried different methods, finally this worked.

Gabriel Charette

Jul 10, 2013, 1:51:34 PM7/10/13
to chris.ve...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
This sounds like a bug, you shouldn't have to do manual cleanup, please log a New Issue @ http://crbug.com