How do Google Chrome and Chromium version numbers relate to each other?

John Masseria

May 5, 2016, 6:34:00 AM5/5/16
to Chromium-discuss
My Samsung phone's CPU evidently is buggy performing ARM NEON instructions.  Chrome v50.0.2661.89 broke SSL to Google CHACHA20_POLY1305 sites.  Chrome Beta v51.0.2704.28 is also broken for me.  Chromium v52.0.2723.0 is fixed for my phone.

My question is how do the version numbers between Chrome and Chromium relate to each other.

My guess is that for the major number v50 is currently for the "stable" release and v51 is for the "beta" release.

So my real question is when Chromium 52.0.2723.0 is released as released as Chrome, do they just increment the last digit? i.e. Chrome 52.0.2723.1?

PhistucK

May 5, 2016, 7:50:41 AM5/5/16
to John Masseria, Chromium-discuss
​A major version is usually promoted to beta (and later stable) a few days after the version is increased.

Stable Chrome will never be x.x.x.0 or x.x.x.1 :) It will be at least x.x.x.40 or something (it takes six weeks from the branch point until it is released to stable, the patch number - which is the last digit - is incremented daily).

PhistucK

Primiano Tucci

May 6, 2016, 5:35:19 AM5/6/16
to jpmas...@gmail.com, Chromium-discuss
My question is how do the version numbers between Chrome and Chromium relate to each other.
They are the same.

> My guess is that for the major number v50 is currently for the "stable" release and v51 is for the "beta" release.
So this is the deal:
the first digit (50-52) is the milestone number. It is increased on every release which happens roughly every ~6 weeks.
It works ike a shift register. At any point in time, there is one "stable" milestone, one "beta" one "dev" (and the daily canaries). On the release they (almost) shift: beta becomes stable etc.
You can check the current state of things on https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/. Right now 50 is stable, 51 is beta, 52 is dev channel.

The second digit: never seen that being !0 in my life :)

The third digit: is the branch number. This is really the most important thing in chrome. Almost every day a "release tentative branch" is cut from master (the only chrome development branch). Most of those branches are dropped silently. Some of them will become elected as the branch point for the dev -> beta -> stable train.
In essence the branch number N is the Nth ~daily snapshot of the "master" branch of the chromium codebase.

The fourth digit: is the branch-build number. When we cut the beta branch the first time it was 51.0.2704.0. What happens is that the code branched from master is never perfect. Sometimes some CL don't make it to the branch, or we just need to make bug fixes there. So what happens is that developers will cherry-pick changes on that 2704 branch. Every now and then a bot takes those changes and spins a new build. That increases the monotonic build number.
You can have a feeling of what happens looking at the git logs like this:
The build bots pin the state of the subprojects and generate a new manifest with a new build ID (all those "Incrementing VERSION to 50.0.2661.XX " commits)

So  52.0.2723.0,  52.0.2723.1...  52.0.2723.3  are all valid releases that contain different code.

PhistucK

May 6, 2016, 6:59:39 AM5/6/16
to Primiano Tucci, John Masseria, Chromium-discuss
​The terms are debatable, but yes. ;P​

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Primiano Tucci <prim...@chromium.org> wrote:
The second digit: never seen that being !0 in my life :)

Only happened once, 4.1 - content settings were added in a special mid-term release (back when the release cycle was about three or four months).​

PhistucK

Torne (Richard Coles)

May 6, 2016, 7:17:53 AM5/6/16
to phis...@gmail.com, Primiano Tucci, John Masseria, Chromium-discuss
Since the change of release cycle there aren't any minor version releases any more and probably will never be again, but we keep the .0. in there to avoid breaking anyone who's parsing the version number :)