PSA: Mac build changing to x64

Robert Sesek

Nov 19, 2014, 2:28:29 PM11/19/14
to chromium-dev
Howdy,

With the release of M39 to the stable channel, Mac is now a 64-bit only browser, however the default configurations and the buildbots all still build 32-bit. It's now time to change the default target_arch used by developers and to update the buildbots to build x64. I'll be landing changes today to make this transition. This should be a completely transparent switch, though please chime in here if you notice any issues.

After the transition is complete, the 32-bit Mac build will be considered deprecated, and it will no longer be maintained. I'll post again here when the transition is finished.

rsesek / @chromium.org

Robert Sesek

Nov 20, 2014, 8:00:19 PM11/20/14
to chromium-dev
Status update after today:

As of right now, local developer builds, the main waterfall, tryserver, blink waterfall, perf, and FYI waterfalls have all been converted to x64. A few more bot configurations need to be switched tomorrow, but the switch appears to be sticking.

There was a little bit of turbulence, so thanks to ncbray@, pdr@, phajdan.jr@, petewil@ and others for helping get through it. Things are looking greener now, but though.

I'll signal again when the transition is complete.

rsesek / @chromium.org

Robert Sesek

Nov 21, 2014, 2:28:09 PM11/21/14
to chromium-dev
All the Mac buildbots have been transitioned to x64. There's a few cleanup tasks to finish, but the transition is effectively complete.

rsesek / @chromium.org

Kenneth Russell

Nov 21, 2014, 4:33:16 PM11/21/14
to Robert Sesek, chromium-dev
Very nice. Thanks for handling this transition, especially so smoothly!

-Ken