Moving to Python 3?

Maciej Pawlowski

Nov 8, 2019, 2:43:30 AM11/8/19
to Chromium-dev
Python 2 support ends in January 2020, which is just two months away. Are there plans to migrate to Python 3?

I've seen some efforts in making gclient work in P3 (https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/CAJeMwD_-FiUrQnhK0uj2agqL9pSYWjdjftJFHemJUEkJpXPN1w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer) - is there a common push to move other bits of scripts and infra to Python 3 or is that an isolated effort?

Nico Weber

Nov 8, 2019, 8:24:58 AM11/8/19
to Maciej Pawlowski, Chromium-dev
I'm not sure anything will happen in Jan 2020, but it looks like we have a Proj-Python3Migration label: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?colspec=ID%20Pri%20M%20Stars%20ReleaseBlock%20Component%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20OS%20Modified&x=m&y=releaseblock&cells=ids&q=Proj%3DPython3Migration&can=2

What I would consider the "main" py3 bug, https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=941669, doesn't have it though, so maybe that's only for infra stuff. Someone else might know the motiation behind the Proj label.

If it's important to you, patches for this are definitely appreciated :)

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:42 AM Maciej Pawlowski <mpawl...@opera.com> wrote:
Python 2 support ends in January 2020, which is just two months away. Are there plans to migrate to Python 3?

I've seen some efforts in making gclient work in P3 (https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/CAJeMwD_-FiUrQnhK0uj2agqL9pSYWjdjftJFHemJUEkJpXPN1w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer) - is there a common push to move other bits of scripts and infra to Python 3 or is that an isolated effort?

Marc-Antoine Ruel

Nov 8, 2019, 9:09:10 AM11/8/19
to mpawl...@opera.com, chromium-dev
The infrastructure is being upgraded to be python3 compatible. Until this is done, testability in a python3 environment is limited. That said I recommend people to opportunistically upgrade scripts they use to be dual compatible even if this is not enforced yet.

Dirk Pranke

Nov 11, 2019, 6:51:36 PM11/11/19
to mpawl...@opera.com, chromium-dev, Marc-Antoine Ruel, Eric Foo
Basically, what the others said :).

We have an effort to get things migrated over, but it's still in the fairly-early stages and there's no way everything will be done by 1/1/2020. Of course, Python 2 won't magically break on that day, either :).

We are indeed focused on getting the depot_tools infrastructure and vpython working first; once we've got that mostly set up, there will be a broader push for more help.

-- Dirk