checkperms error

Sorin Jianu

Jan 20, 2015, 4:19:18 PM1/20/15
to chromium-dev
I am getting this error from the trybots (linux_chromium_rel_ng ):

checkperms checkperms
failures:
components/test/data/update_client/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc_1/a_changing_binary_file: Has ELF header but not executable bit
components/test/data/update_client/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc_2/a_changing_binary_file: Has ELF header but not executable bit
components/test/data/update_client/jebgalgnebhfojomionfpkfelancnnkf/component1.dll: Must have executable bit set

I am uploading from a Windows checkout. Is there a way to workaround the error? These files are test data files, they are there to test a binary patching algorithm, and not intended to be executed in any way.

Scott Graham

Jan 20, 2015, 4:21:06 PM1/20/15
to so...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
git update-index --chmod=+x .../component1.dll

Sorin Jianu

Jan 21, 2015, 2:07:35 PM1/21/15
to Scott Graham, chromium-dev
Scott, I am getting the same checkperms error even after fixing the index
permissions and uploading again.

If I use "git ls-tree" in my local checkout, the files appear to have the
correct permissions but git cl does not upload them.

d:\src\chromium\src>git ls-tree HEAD
components/test/data/update_client/jebgalgnebhfojomionfpkf
elancnnkf/component1.dll
100755 blob d981136ab20cfa4f47a3367893ea8b050a5d27ef
 components/test/data/update_client/jebg
algnebhfojomionfpkfelancnnkf/component1.dll

d:\src\chromium\src>git ls-tree HEAD
components/test/data/update_client/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepf
flplebdkc/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc_2/a_changing_binary_file
100755 blob 6b0286e55bc6a118cfba1a1708fd95d6d8c579b6

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Sorin Jianu <so...@google.com> wrote:
Scott, I am getting the same checkperms error even after fixing the index permissions and uploading again.

If I use "git ls-tree" in my local checkout, the files appear to have the correct permissions but git cl does not upload them.

d:\src\chromium\src>git ls-tree HEAD components/test/data/update_client/jebgalgnebhfojomionfpkf
elancnnkf/component1.dll
100755 blob d981136ab20cfa4f47a3367893ea8b050a5d27ef    components/test/data/update_client/jebg
algnebhfojomionfpkfelancnnkf/component1.dll

d:\src\chromium\src>git ls-tree HEAD components/test/data/update_client/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepf
flplebdkc/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc_2/a_changing_binary_file
100755 blob 6b0286e55bc6a118cfba1a1708fd95d6d8c579b6    components/test/data/update_client/ihfo
kbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc_2/a_changing_binary_file

Scott Graham

Jan 21, 2015, 2:56:16 PM1/21/15
to Sorin Jianu, chromium-dev
Hm, not sure. I'm guessing it's getting confused because that file is a copy.

Maybe could confirm by uploading with --similarity=100 or replacing it with a non-copy. I think it'll be fine if you `git cl land` though, it's just not correct via patches/rietveld.

(Also, please include a link to the CL when you have a problem like this).

Sorin Jianu

Jan 21, 2015, 3:03:26 PM1/21/15
to Scott Graham, chromium-dev
Thank you Scott. Is this likely to be a Windows issue? I can try to get a checkout on Linux and fix the permissions from there.

CL is https://codereview.chromium.org/808773005/

Sorin Jianu

Jan 22, 2015, 5:31:59 PM1/22/15
to Scott Graham, chromium-dev
Thank you Scott. I am not able to make this work.

I created a new CL, with just the offending files: https://codereview.chromium.org/866143002/
I uploaded with --similarity=100

I did this from a Linux checkout.

I verified that the permissions on the file system and the permissions in the git index are correct.

 create mode 100755 components/test/data/update_client/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc_1/a_changing_binary_file
 create mode 100755 components/test/data/update_client/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc/ihfokbkgjpifnbbojhneepfflplebdkc_2/a_changing_binary_file
 create mode 100755 components/test/data/update_client/jebgalgnebhfojomionfpkfelancnnkf/component1.dll

At this point, I am out of ideas, other than landing the change by hand and hoping it won't break anything.

I don't know what I am doing wrong. Should I open an infrastructure bug?

Scott Graham

Jan 22, 2015, 5:33:45 PM1/22/15
to Sorin Jianu, chromium-dev
Sorry I didn't get back to you, I don't really know.

I think it's just a git cl or rietveld problem, so if that's the only thing that's failing on the trybots I would land it manually.

Thiago Farina

Jan 22, 2015, 6:01:56 PM1/22/15
to sco...@chromium.org, Sorin Jianu, chromium-dev

On Thursday, January 22, 2015, Scott Graham <sco...@chromium.org> wrote:
Sorry I didn't get back to you, I don't really know.

I think it's just a git cl or rietveld problem, so if that's the only thing that's failing on the trybots I would land it manually.

Isn't it going to close the tree, if it breaks checkperms?

--
Thiago Farina

Sorin Jianu

Jan 22, 2015, 6:07:29 PM1/22/15
to chromium-dev
I think that the idea here is that there is something wrong with the git cl upload propagating permissions. If git lands the patch, then the permissions would be correct.