Mystery behind scan a new card on Chrome Android

karmakoder

Dec 2, 2016, 1:24:19 PM12/2/16
to Chromium-dev
With chrome on Android, been trying to find a way to implement "scan a new card" pop-up that shows up on iOS devices when you focus on credit card field. Is there a special name tag that can be used to make this happen in Chrome on Android?
A working example of this is present on m.staples.com website on their checkout page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anton Vayvod

Dec 2, 2016, 1:39:47 PM12/2/16
to vinil.b...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
Out of top of my head I'd assume it's a feature of WKWebView / Safari on iOS which would mean it doesn't need to be implemented by Chrome to work on iOS. There might be no direct analogue implementation on Android.

Are you looking to implement it in Chrome on Android or for a way to have a better experience for your mobile website on Android?

If the latter, you could look at PaymentRequest API I guess: https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/discovery-and-monetization/payment-request/

Jason Liu

Dec 2, 2016, 1:43:07 PM12/2/16
to jdon...@chromium.org, ava...@chromium.org, vinil.b...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
+jdonnelly

Justin Donnelly

Dec 2, 2016, 1:52:58 PM12/2/16
to Jason Liu, ava...@chromium.org, vinil.b...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev
This feature does not currently exist in Chrome for iOS. We strongly encourage developers to annotate their forms with autocomplete attributes as described in this article. This will ensure that users can autofill the form with their existing data or save newly entered data. But scanning with the camera is only available on Android.

karmakoder

Dec 2, 2016, 3:11:50 PM12/2/16
to Chromium-dev, jaso...@chromium.org, ava...@chromium.org, vinil.b...@gmail.com, jdon...@chromium.org
As much as I have read, the scan a new card option may not be possible on Chrome Browser running on an Android device. But then wondering how it staples has been able to make it work on their m.staples.com site. See attached. Scanning through their html, it doesnt feel like they are using any custom js library to achieve this either. But I could be wrong.
Thx for help though guys.

Cheers,
Vinil

On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 1:52:58 PM UTC-5, Justin Donnelly wrote:
This feature does not currently exist in Chrome for iOS. We strongly encourage developers to annotate their forms with autocomplete attributes as described in this article. This will ensure that users can autofill the form with their existing data or save newly entered data. But scanning with the camera is only available on Android.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Jason Liu <jaso...@chromium.org> wrote:
+jdonnelly

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 1:24 PM, karmakoder <vinil.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
With chrome on Android, been trying to find a way to implement "scan a new card" pop-up that shows up on iOS devices when you focus on credit card field. Is there a special name tag that can be used to make this happen in Chrome on Android?
A working example of this is present on m.staples.com website on their checkout page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20161202-151012.png

Rouslan Solomakhin

Dec 2, 2016, 3:31:51 PM12/2/16
to vinil.b...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, jaso...@chromium.org, ava...@chromium.org, Justin Donnelly
Chrome on Android has credit card scanner in both autofill and PaymentRequest. For autofill, Chrome must detect your input field to be credit card number for this option to show up. Try this form:

<form name="my-form-name" id="my-form-id" action="https://my-website.com/cc-submit" method="post">
  Credit card number: <input autofocus="" type="text" name="CCNo"><br>
  Name on card: <input type="text" name="name"><br>
  Expiry Date: <select name="CCExpiresMonth">
    <option value="01">01</option>
    <option value="02">02</option>
    <option value="03">03</option>
    <option value="04">04</option>
    <option value="05">05</option>
    <option value="06">06</option>
    <option value="07">07</option>
    <option value="08">08</option>
    <option value="09">09</option>
    <option value="10">10</option>
    <option value="11">11</option>
    <option value="12">12</option>
  </select>
  /
<select name="CCExpiresYear">
    <option value="2016">2016</option>
    <option value="2017">2017</option>
    <option value="2018">2018</option>
    <option value="2019">2019</option>
    <option value="2020">2020</option>
    <option value="2021">2021</option>
    <option value="2022">2022</option>
    <option value="2023">2023</option>
  </select>
  CVC: <input name="cvc">
  <input type="reset" value="Reset">
  <input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

Be sure to host this form over HTTPS.

PaymentRequest credit card editor also has a scanner starting in Chrome 56. See example code here:  https://googlechrome.github.io/samples/paymentrequest/credit-cards/

.

Mar 14, 2017, 12:51:19 PM3/14/17
to Chromium-dev, jaso...@chromium.org, ava...@chromium.org, vinil.b...@gmail.com, jdon...@chromium.org
Somehow I cannot reproduce the screenshot any more. Anyone can confirm? Thanks!

Rouslan Solomakhin

Mar 14, 2017, 1:16:30 PM3/14/17
to rong...@gmail.com, Chromium-dev, jaso...@chromium.org, ava...@chromium.org, Vinil Bhandari, Justin Donnelly
Not clear what you mean. Please elaborate.