GN Migration status

Shruthi Sreekanta

May 27, 2016, 3:14:36 PM5/27/16
to Chromium-dev, dpr...@chromium.org, bre...@chromium.org, bruce...@chromium.org, agr...@chromium.org, jbud...@chromium.org, pkot...@chromium.org, stev...@chromium.org, rse...@chromium.org, sdef...@chromium.org
We have been making lots of progress on all platforms for GN migration (what's that?) and here are some of the wins we are proud to share, to mention a few:
  • Android is done!!! Woohooo!!! 🎉 Thank you agrieve/jbudorick/pkotwicz for the awesome work!
  • Builds of Chromium (the public code) now work on all 6 platforms
  • Windows CQ bots are now on GN
  • GN works on most simplechrome and some ebuild CrOS builds
  • GN works on Mac on most targets
  • All builders are using MB to control whether to use GYP or GN via src-side files, so flips can be tested via the tryservers
  • As a nice side effect, the migration has triggered some cleanup tasks, for instance, complicated and incorrect delay-loading on Windows
Below is the current brief status/estimates:

Platform

Owner

Ship with GN

Ready for developers

All bots flipped/GYP turned off

Linux

dpranke

Done

Done

May end (almost done here!)

Android

agrieve

jbudorick

Done

Done

Done

Windows

brucedawson

M53

Done

ChromeOS

stevenjb

M53

Done for linux-chromeos and simple chrome

Mac

rsesek

M53

Done

iOS

sdefresne

M53

End of May

Here are the open GN migration bugs. If you are interested in helping, please reach out to me. If you have other specific questions, please contact me or any of the folks on the cc list.

Thanks,
Shruthi