PSA: please run build/install-build-deps.sh to install libpci headers

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

Nov 1, 2012, 5:10:51 PM11/1/12
to chromium-dev
After https://chromiumcodereview.appspot.com/11343015/ you need libpci headers on your Linux machine, so please remember to run build/install-build-deps.sh if you get build errors that look like below:

../../content/gpu/gpu_info_collector_linux.cc:13:21: error: pci/pci.h: No such
file or directory

If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know. The change is committed and bots are fine with it.

Paweł

Lei Zhang

Nov 1, 2012, 5:14:13 PM11/1/12
to Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev
On behalf of everyone who was surprised by this, next time please send
out the PSA a day or two before actually using the new required
dependency.

Scott Hess

Nov 1, 2012, 5:30:46 PM11/1/12
to the...@chromium.org, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev
I think it would useful if there were a --check type thing for build
deps, which hopefully could be cheap enough to integrate into runhooks
or somesuch. I do Linux development just seldom enough that a PSA
isn't going to register, but just often enough that every change to
the list of deps causes me to build twice :-).

[I'm not crazy, clearly runhooks can't be running sudo stuff. But the
check doesn't need special privs.]

-scott

James Robinson

Nov 1, 2012, 6:48:15 PM11/1/12
to phajd...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
You didn't update all bots: http://build.chromium.org/p/chromium.webkit/builders/Linux%20Perf/builds/17656/steps/compile/logs/stdio#error1 at a minimum is still failing to compile with this error.

- James

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. <phajd...@chromium.org> wrote:

Paweł

Lei Zhang

Nov 1, 2012, 6:52:16 PM11/1/12
to James Robinson, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev
I just did. I'll keep an eye on it. Ping me on IRC if you see any more
bots that didn't get the new dependency update.

Thiago Farina

Nov 1, 2012, 9:33:24 PM11/1/12
to the...@chromium.org, James Robinson, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Lei Zhang <the...@chromium.org> wrote:
> I just did. I'll keep an eye on it. Ping me on IRC if you see any more
> bots that didn't get the new dependency update.

I got this is http://build.chromium.org/p/tryserver.chromium/builders/linux_asan/builds/7534/steps/compile/logs/stdio

../../content/gpu/gpu_info_collector_linux.cc:13:10: fatal error:
'pci/pci.h' file not found
#include <pci/pci.h>
^
1 error generated.

--
Thiago

Chase Phillips

Nov 1, 2012, 9:42:09 PM11/1/12
to Thiago Farina, Lei Zhang, James Robinson, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev
Thanks.  That bot should not be online serving jobs, but it was, so I took it offline.  Please retry your job.

--
Thiago

Hans Wennborg

Nov 2, 2012, 6:18:29 AM11/2/12
to c...@google.com, Thiago Farina, Lei Zhang, James Robinson, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Chase Phillips <c...@google.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Thiago Farina <tfa...@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Lei Zhang <the...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> > I just did. I'll keep an eye on it. Ping me on IRC if you see any more
>> > bots that didn't get the new dependency update.
>> >
>> I got this is
>> http://build.chromium.org/p/tryserver.chromium/builders/linux_asan/builds/7534/steps/compile/logs/stdio
>>
>> ../../content/gpu/gpu_info_collector_linux.cc:13:10: fatal error:
>> 'pci/pci.h' file not found
>> #include <pci/pci.h>
>> ^
>> 1 error generated.
>

> Thanks. That bot should not be online serving jobs, but it was, so I took
> it offline. Please retry your job.

I just had a linux_clang tryjob fail with the same error:

http://build.chromium.org/p/tryserver.chromium/builders/linux_clang/builds/61067/steps/compile/logs/stdio

Patrik Höglund

Nov 2, 2012, 6:31:16 AM11/2/12
to ha...@chromium.org, Chase Phillips, Thiago Farina, Lei Zhang, James Robinson, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev

Bernhard Bauer

Nov 2, 2012, 7:49:32 AM11/2/12
to phog...@google.com, Hans Wennborg, Chase Phillips, Thiago Farina, Lei Zhang, James Robinson, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev
I installed it on those two bots. If anyone runs into any more of these errors in the next couple of hours, feel free to ping me with the bot names.

Bernhard.

Thiago Farina

Nov 2, 2012, 12:43:13 PM11/2/12
to Bernhard Bauer, phog...@google.com, Hans Wennborg, Chase Phillips, Lei Zhang, James Robinson, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Bernhard Bauer <bau...@google.com> wrote:
> I installed it on those two bots. If anyone runs into any more of these
> errors in the next couple of hours, feel free to ping me with the bot names.

Happened again for me:
http://build.chromium.org/p/tryserver.chromium/builders/linux_asan/builds/7603/steps/compile/logs/stdio

--
Thiago

Bernhard Bauer

Nov 2, 2012, 1:03:38 PM11/2/12
to Thiago Farina, phoglund, Hans Wennborg, Chase Phillips, Lei Zhang, James Robinson, Paweł Hajdan, Jr., chromium-dev
Done.

Leon Scroggins

Nov 7, 2012, 1:32:37 PM11/7/12
to phajd...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
When I run that script I get the following message:

We no longer recommend that you use this script to install
32bit libraries on a 64bit system. Instead, consider using
the install-chroot.sh script to help you set up a 32bit
environment for building and testing 32bit versions of Chrome.

If you nonetheless want to try installing 32bit libraries
directly, you can do so by explicitly passing the --lib32
option to install-build-deps.sh.
Exiting without installing any 32bit libraries.

What is the correct option for a 64bit machine?

Paweł

Marc-Antoine Ruel

Nov 7, 2012, 1:37:21 PM11/7/12
to scr...@google.com, phajd...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
The default choice.

Michael Moss

Nov 7, 2012, 1:38:13 PM11/7/12
to scr...@google.com, phajd...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
That's correct behavior, but the messaging could probably be better.
It sounds like it's not doing something that you might expect it to
do, but it's really just telling you that it's no longer offering to
install 32-bit libs, like it used to, without you explicitly
requesting it.