GYP is no longer supported

Shruthi Sreekanta

Aug 1, 2016, 12:29:31 PM8/1/16
to Chromium-dev, Dirk Pranke, Brett Wilson, Bruce Dawson, Robert Sesek, Steven Bennetts, Sylvain Defresne, Andrew Grieve, John Budorick, Peter Kotwicz, Sébastien Marchand, Roland McGrath, Nick Bray, Scott Graham, Chris Hopman

📣 As of now, GYP is no longer supported on any platform.

Please do not delete any GYP files until M54 branches (currently scheduled for August 25), but you are not obligated to keep the GYP files building or in sync with the GN build.

Some GN files still reference file lists loaded from .gypi files so you may still need to update .gypi files for some changes. We plan to start clean-up after M54 branches.

Thanks to everybody who helped with this transition, for your dedication and hard work, especially Dirk, Brett and folks in the cc list! 👏

And with that, we would like to leave you with some GN trivia:

  • The initial GN prototype was checked in July 29, 2013, for a total project length of 3 years and 3 days.
  • There are currently 128,042 lines of GN build code in a Chromium checkout, and 48,284 lines of code in the GN binary itself (9,607 of which are tests): In contrast, there are currently 264,107 lines of GYP files in a Chromium checkout (some of these are lists shared with GN).
  • There are more than two hundred different combinations of GN args tested on the waterfalls. Most are used on only one or two builders.
Thanks,
Shruthi, on behalf of the GN migration team

Kenneth Russell

Shruthi

Aug 3, 2016, 12:02:03 PM8/3/16
to Chromium-dev, dpr...@chromium.org, bre...@chromium.org, bruce...@chromium.org, rse...@chromium.org, stev...@chromium.org, sdef...@chromium.org, agr...@chromium.org, jbud...@chromium.org, pkot...@chromium.org, sebma...@chromium.org, mcgr...@chromium.org, ncb...@chromium.org, sco...@chromium.org, cjho...@chromium.org, Thiago Farina, Nico Weber, Luis Lozano, Ryo Hashimoto, Patricia Lor
Apologies to anybody I missed in the cc (credits) list, it was unintentional. Added a few more folks, thank you all very much for your contributions! I might be missing more, considering that this project spanned years, platforms, teams, so please email and yell, and I will add you in. I think anybody who worked on this deserves a mention. :)