Coding Standards (line length limit) for Markdown files?

Eric Lawrence

Jan 17, 2019, 2:56:05 PM1/17/19
to Chromium-dev
Does Chromium have a column limit for markdown files?

The cs.chromium.org viewer sorta implies that a limit of 80 characters (drawing a right margin line), but https://www.chromium.org/developers/markdown-documentation doesn't mention a limit.

The Google guide the Chromium wiki cites only says "obey the project's limit" (https://github.com/google/styleguide/blob/gh-pages/docguide/style.md#character-line-limit).

Git CL Format does not seem to reformat markdown lines.

Given that markdown is designed to be readable in plaintext editors and unbroken lines (e.g. this doc) are less readable, it seems like imposing a length limit would be a reasonable idea?

thanks for any pointers!

Nico Weber

Jan 17, 2019, 3:07:59 PM1/17/19
to Eric Lawrence, Chromium-dev

Given that, it's probably not worth spending time arguing about the precise formatting of md files. Imho, let authors do what they want (we want it to be easy to write docs) as long as it looks fine in gitiles.

Mike Frysinger

Jan 17, 2019, 5:35:09 PM1/17/19
to elaw...@chromium.org, Chromium-dev
in CrOS, we say use 80 cols (ignoring URIs/links that can't be broken).  you're right that the Google style guide seems to forget to say "80 cols" in that section, but they do cite it in a diff part:

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 2:56 PM Eric Lawrence <elaw...@chromium.org> wrote:

Dirk Pranke

Jan 29, 2019, 7:53:48 PM1/29/19
to Mike Frysinger, Eric Lawrence, Chromium-dev
I think we should probably update the doc to mention an 80-char limit is recommended (which is I think what most of our docs currently do).

-- Dirk