Caution regarding Xcode 7 for Mac development

Mark Mentovai

Sep 18, 2015, 7:03:15 PM9/18/15
to chromium-dev
To anyone doing Mac development:

Two days ago, Apple released Xcode 7. Unfortunately, they broke with past tradition and only shipped a single SDK with this release, the new 10.11 SDK. It’s not currently possible to build Chrome with this SDK (bug 517914). We currently only support the 10.10 SDK, although we’re working toward 10.11 SDK compatibility.

At this point, the recommendation to Mac developers is to not install Xcode 7 for Chrome work, but to stick with the previous version, Xcode 6.4, which contains the 10.10 and 10.9 SDKs. Xcode 6.4 is still available from Apple at https://developer.apple.com/downloads/, but you’ll need to log in.

Follow bug 517914 for updates.

Mark

Lei Zhang

Sep 18, 2015, 7:18:12 PM9/18/15
to Mark Mentovai, chromium-dev
For anyone who has to use Xcode 7 for other projects on the same
machine, they can install 6 and 7 side by side, and use xcode-select
to switch as needed, right?
> --

arunoday sarkar

Sep 18, 2015, 8:24:54 PM9/18/15
to Lei Zhang, Mark Mentovai, chromium-dev
I have both versions installed however when I swtiched to Xcode 6.4 the build failed, not sure why?

Mark Mentovai

Sep 18, 2015, 10:15:43 PM9/18/15
to Lei Zhang, chromium-dev
Yes, that will work.

You should also be able to put a copy of (or a symbolic link to) the 10.10 SDK into the right place in the Xcode 7 app. I haven’t tested that in this exact configuration, but it’s worked with other Xcode versions in the past. No guarantees there, and if you’re modifying Xcode.app, you’re kind of on your own.

Mark Mentovai

Sep 18, 2015, 10:16:23 PM9/18/15
to arunoday sarkar, Lei Zhang, chromium-dev
If you ran “gclient runhooks” (or sync) with Xcode 7 selected, you’ll need to runhooks once again after you xcode-select version 6.4.

Dimitri Glazkov

Sep 19, 2015, 11:46:53 PM9/19/15
to Mark Mentovai, chromium-dev
Also, if you happened to have "Install app updates" checked in your "App Store" preferences (like, on your home computer), this wonderful breakage will happen for you automagically. True story.

:DG<

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Mark Mentovai <ma...@chromium.org> wrote:

Wojciech Dzierżanowski

Sep 21, 2015, 2:43:22 AM9/21/15
to ma...@chromium.org, Lei Zhang, chromium-dev
I can confirm that this works.

After the update, Xcode 7 was the only version on my system. I
downloaded 6.4 from https://developer.apple.com/downloads/ and
extracted the 10.10 SDK folder from the dmg image into the
Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs folder of
my Xcode.app. Haven't had any problems with this setup so far.

Cheers,
Wojtek

Scott Hess

Sep 21, 2015, 6:18:38 PM9/21/15
to Wojciech Dzierżanowski, Mark Mentovai, Lei Zhang, chromium-dev
Unfortunately, putting the 10.3.9 SDK in there was insufficient to let me compile Chromium for PPC.  Sigh.

Anyhow, pro-tip: While you're in there, snag a copy of the SDKs you have and put them somewhere outside of Xcode.app (or have sufficient backups AND know how to use them).  That way you'll be swearing less next time this happens.

-scott

Ian Clelland

Sep 22, 2015, 1:15:11 PM9/22/15
to sh...@chromium.org, Wojciech Dzierżanowski, Mark Mentovai, Lei Zhang, chromium-dev
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 6:17 PM, Scott Hess <sh...@chromium.org> wrote:
Unfortunately, putting the 10.3.9 SDK in there was insufficient to let me compile Chromium for PPC.  Sigh.

That's too bad... I don't know what could have changed since 2005...

Did you try writing a V8 compiler? I think the PPC port is still blocked on that.

Anyhow, pro-tip: While you're in there, snag a copy of the SDKs you have and put them somewhere outside of Xcode.app (or have sufficient backups AND know how to use them).  That way you'll be swearing less next time this happens.

+1 (To both those suggestions)

Nico Weber

Oct 13, 2015, 4:27:04 PM10/13/15
to Dimitri Glazkov, Mark Mentovai, chromium-dev
As of #353800, Chromium will build fine with the 10.11 SDK, so things should Just Work with Xcode 7 now.

(You'll use a different SDK than what the bots use, but that shouldn't be a big problem in practice – this has been true for the last 4 years or so too, since the bots used to use the 10.6 SDK and Xcode stopped bundling that long ago.)

Apologies this took so long so fix, this hasn't been our finest month :-( Probably not even top 5.

Thanks to sdefresne, mark, avi, and tapted for helping with making this work. http://crbug.com/517914 has the details.

Nico

Dimitri Glazkov

Oct 13, 2015, 4:27:24 PM10/13/15
to Nico Weber, Mark Mentovai, chromium-dev
On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Nico Weber <tha...@chromium.org> wrote:
Apologies this took so long so fix, this hasn't been our finest month :-( Probably not even top 5.

But it's in top 10, right?

:DG<

Nico Weber

Oct 13, 2015, 4:28:44 PM10/13/15
to Dimitri Glazkov, Mark Mentovai, chromium-dev
For 2015 so far, yes.