Intent to Implement: Remove site exception for tiny Flash Player content

Anthony LaForge

Jan 11, 2017, 5:29:25 PM1/11/17
to chromium-dev, blink-dev, Ryan Schoen, Rachel Blum, Tommy Li

Contacts

Eng: gr...@chromium.org

PM: rsc...@chromium.org

TPM: laf...@chromium.org

Summary

About two years ago (September 2015) we began pausing “non-essential” Flash content smaller than 400px in width or 300px in height. Initially we included an exception to allow plugin content that was 5x5 or smaller or had an undefined size to run. In Chrome 53 we removed that exception, but left one final exception for same origin content.  The exception was meant to give developers more time to transition content away from Flash, for features that are now well-supported by the web platform (e.g. clipboard access, audio streams, etc...).

Starting in Chrome 57 we plan to start experimenting with removing this final exception, and are hoping to ship it sometime in the second half of 2017 (~Chrome 60 - August).  This change will soon be visible on our earlier release channels (Canary and Dev) progressing to Beta.  Our intent is to give developers and users exposure to the behavior, with a significant amount of lead time (>6 months), before enabling it for all users on Stable.

For more details on the anticipated behavior, please see the design doc.

Stephen Schaefer

Jul 26, 2017, 2:46:16 PM7/26/17
to Chromium-dev, blin...@chromium.org, rsc...@chromium.org, gr...@chromium.org, tomm...@chromium.org
Did this end up getting implemented in Chrome 60 for windows?  I'm seeing the impact of this change in 60 beta but not in 60 stable.

Bob Kenyon

Aug 18, 2017, 11:18:07 AM8/18/17
to Chromium-dev, blin...@chromium.org, rsc...@chromium.org, gr...@chromium.org, tomm...@chromium.org
So, the below combined with the removal of the run-all-flash-in-allow-mode flag there is no longer any way to allow small flash to run on a whitelisted site?

We are in the process of rewriting our entire application that is dependent on flash but we have some aspects of our system that were still working with this flag enabled and we are not investing in fixing something we're about to replace completely.

I'm looking for confirmation on this before starting communication to our customers that Chrome and Chrome OS are no longer compatible with the legacy portions of our application.

PS - I did notice that on Chrome Canary Mac OS I'm able to click "run all plugins" each time one of these small flash objects are invoked - but on Chrome Canary Windows the link is disabled the second time a page is interacted with and the small flash is blocked. Intentional or bug?

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 5:29:25 PM UTC-5, Anthony LaForge wrote:

Contacts