Gallery System Error when uploading Extension

Omar_Hawk

Jul 18, 2012, 10:55:16 AM7/18/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi!

I'm getting the following error:
An error occurred: Gallery system error, please try again later.
whenever I try to upload my extension to the chrome webstore.

I am currently switching from an own hosted extension to the chrome webstore, so I uploaded my extension to the store, and published it to my testers. One of my testers told me, that there shouldn't be a "Google"-Specific word inside the AddOn name, so I tried to upload a new version with a changed name, which did not work (got stuck @ about 90% while uploading). Then, I simply unpublished my Extension and deleted it completely.
Then I tried to upload my AddOn again (with the changed name) and got the error above. Whenever I try to upload the new version of my Extension, it shows me that error. What should I do?

I followed the advice from here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/chromium-extensions/3vvygtEajMQ/qcA03E81jq8J on how to transfer the existing AddOn incl. key, maybe this has to do something with that (maybe, the key was not deleted, when the Extension itself was deleted?)...

This concerns Extension ID baphbmdmbobikapopnggboiopbinogeo

Yours sincerely,
Jan

Omar_Hawk

Jul 18, 2012, 11:19:40 AM7/18/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
Mh, I just found this post: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/chromium-apps/mSdnoZbr204
 - it seems as if I am not the only one with that issue...

I guess, someone from the google team needs to take care of it.

PhistucK

Jul 18, 2012, 12:33:31 PM7/18/12
to Omar_Hawk, chromi...@chromium.org
Since you mentioned it - 90%? How big is your package? Note that packages are limited to 10 MB.

PhistucK

Omar_Hawk

Jul 18, 2012, 12:45:08 PM7/18/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Omar_Hawk
170kB. But I am quite sure, that this is not the reason, but the key file inside the extensions zip package is the reason (see the other linked thread, the guy there has exactly the same issue).

Unfortunately, I cannot simply leave the key file away, because then I won't be able to migrate my existing users (~3 - 4 thousand).

Omar_Hawk

Jul 19, 2012, 9:44:00 AM7/19/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Omar_Hawk
So, one question comes into my mind:
Is someone from google reading here, or is it useless to ask here?

I know, that not even 24h have passed since my initial question, but it would be nice to know, if I can expect an answer here.

This issue is quite serious for me, because from mid August (when Chrome 21 will be released), I have no other (good) choice than hosting my extension in the webstore...

And, as I said, this problem does not only exist for me, but also for many others (who are waiting for even a longer time for an answer):
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/chromium-apps/mSdnoZbr204
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/chromium-apps/EYebtA5Bwcc
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8225314/how-to-re-upload-an-extension-with-a-deleted-extension-id

Would it be more helpful to create an issue in their bugtracker?

Joe Marini

Jul 19, 2012, 11:55:32 AM7/19/12
to Omar_Hawk, chromi...@chromium.org
Hi Omar,

Let me see if I can take a look at this.

-Joe

Joe Marini
Developer Advocate / Chrome

Omar_Hawk

Jul 19, 2012, 1:08:40 PM7/19/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Omar_Hawk
Thanks already!

123avd

Jul 20, 2012, 5:21:47 PM7/20/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Omar_Hawk
I think I have the same problem with my extension. I uploaded it once with the key.pem file and than removed it. When I try to upload a zip with the same key.pem again it fails with the 'An error occurred: Gallery system error, please try again later' error.

It would be nice if someone from Google could help us.

Thijs Suijten

Jul 23, 2012, 10:43:37 AM7/23/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi, I've got the exact same problem.

I tried uploading the extension on different Google accounts but no luck I get the same error.

Omar_Hawk

Jul 25, 2012, 10:46:16 AM7/25/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Omar_Hawk
Hi!

I let you some time to identify the problem and might fix it. Do you have some news for us? I just tried again and it still does not work.

The more time is going by, the more urgent this issue becomes! So: please hurry, mid-August is quite near!

Joe Marini

Jul 25, 2012, 4:17:16 PM7/25/12
to Omar_Hawk, chromi...@chromium.org
We're looking at it now. Hold off on updating for the moment.

joe

Alexi Vereschaga

Jul 26, 2012, 12:02:45 AM7/26/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
I got the exact same problem. Waiting for a fix.

Thanks,
-Alexi

Fabian

Jul 26, 2012, 2:01:37 PM7/26/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Omar_Hawk, fra...@yahoo-inc.com

I am having the exact same problem now. Accidentally deleted the wrong draft (the one that had a key.pem and the correct appid) and now I can't reupload with key.pem to get the appid back. Please fix this soon, it is blocking us from publishing our extension.

Thanks,
Fabian

123avd

Jul 26, 2012, 3:51:08 PM7/26/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
I can use my extension ID again thanks to a developer on Google code who undeleted my extension. Maybe he is willing to help other people with this problem too?
This is the issue I created for Chromium on Google code: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=138706

Qian Huang

Jul 27, 2012, 1:19:04 AM7/27/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
The deleted item IDs must not be reused, so if you delete one item and reupload with the same private key, you will see problem. The easiest way is to remove the private key in the package and reupload as a new item, this way you will get a new item ID.

If you do need to reuse the same item ID for a strong business purpose, such as you have been distributing the item under that ID for a long time, please post your item ID and developer account email here: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=138706, we may manually restore the item for you as an exception, meanwhile we will give clearer warning upon deletion and more specific error message for the duplicate upload case.

Hope this helps.

Thijs Suijten

Jul 27, 2012, 2:12:31 AM7/27/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
Hi,

I also posted my extension ID and developer account email at Issue 138706. I hope you can undelete my extension.

Fabian

Jul 27, 2012, 2:38:59 PM7/27/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
I have updated the mentioned issue as well, since we are in desperate need for a resolution. We are not able to remove the private key, because we must migrate our users using the same ID under which the app was distributed for several months from our own servers.

Regards,
Fabian

Omar_Hawk

Jul 27, 2012, 3:57:00 PM7/27/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Omar_Hawk
Ok, just to give a feedback: My Extension got undeleted, and now I can edit my extension again. Thanks!

But google might consider finding a general solution: doing all this stuff manually is not nice for the extension developers (they have to wait quite a long time) and also not for you "support" guys, who have the extra effort for undeleting all those half-deleted extensions...

Joe Marini

Jul 30, 2012, 12:49:27 PM7/30/12
to Omar_Hawk, chromi...@chromium.org
We've updated the developer dashboard to be more clear about deleting the extension, and we are looking at additional ways to help prevent this from happening.

Joe

Oct 2, 2012, 1:17:12 PM10/2/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Omar_Hawk
Dear Joe,

We hope it's not late to restore bhmabgbfgopgdmnibdpgnjgehimendjk ... It would be a significative loss for us! We've already annotated this at http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=138706

Many, many thanks!

Joe Marini
Developer Advocate / Chrome

Joe Marini
Developer Advocate / Chrome

Joe Marini

Oct 2, 2012, 1:23:31 PM10/2/12
to Q, Chromium Apps, Omar_Hawk
Let me see. Hang on.

Joe

Ron Gross

Nov 23, 2012, 5:28:17 AM11/23/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
I'm having the same issue for the past 7 hours.

Trying to upload this file: https://github.com/ripper234/explainxkcd/blob/master/releases/0.2.zip to the store, and I keep getting

Gallery system error, please try again later.

Should I open a new thread?