Chrome Web Store Update: Enhanced Item Validation

Joe Marini

Jun 19, 2013, 6:31:00 PM6/19/13
to Chromium Apps
Greeting developers,

One of the driving principles of the Chrome browser and platform is security. We’re always looking for ways to increase the security for our users and developers, because a trusted platform becomes more widely adopted. Starting today in the Chrome Web Store, you might notice that your item is not broadly available immediately after you publish it. Don't panic - we are just adding additional checks to keep our users secure. Most items will be publicly available within several minutes of publishing, however it could take up to 60 minutes for the scan to complete. Unless we see something worrisome, most items should be publicly available several minutes after publishing, almost always within 60 minutes. This new functionality does not require any action on the part of developers. When you publish an item in the store, the developer dashboard will indicate that your item is in the process of being published. You can cancel the publishing process during this time if you want to make any changes to the item.

As always, we welcome your feedback on our G+ Developers page or our developer forum.

--
Joe Marini
Developer Advocate / Chrome

nzpossum

Jun 19, 2013, 7:12:49 PM6/19/13
to chromi...@chromium.org
Is this just for malware or will it be used to clean up piracy and crapware, especially apps which aren't real web apps but just links to websites that get you to download executables.

Joe Marini

Jun 19, 2013, 7:15:08 PM6/19/13
to nzpossum, Chromium Apps
There are a variety of checks that we perform. I can't go into details on them, but we use a large set of signals to determine app safety and quality.

Abraham Williams

Jun 19, 2013, 7:21:23 PM6/19/13
to Joe Marini, Chromium Apps
Is this for publishing updates to existing items as well as publishing new items?

Can we get email notifications upon publishing/rejection? It's always good to verify that publishing worked as we expect and without notification users could have access to invalid publishes, etc until the developers returns to verify.

Abraham
--
This email is: [ ] shareable [x] ask first [ ] private

Joe Marini

Jun 19, 2013, 7:40:01 PM6/19/13
to Abraham Williams, Chromium Apps
It's for both.

I'm working with the CWS team to find ways to streamline and improve the Pending Review process. I know that this has been frustrating lately.