Installation statistics?

MDigital

Aug 20, 2012, 8:00:55 PM8/20/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
One of our Chrome extensions is getting users, it currently says  2877 Weekly users, however when I goto Stats, the installations are extremely low, like 1-2 a day sometimes not even any at all, does anyone know whats going on?

Valeriu Vetiul

Aug 22, 2012, 5:48:55 AM8/22/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Our extension (KeyRocket for Gmail) has more than 10,000 weekly users, and the stats say it had only a tenth of that.

Joe Marini

Aug 22, 2012, 11:36:39 AM8/22/12
to Valeriu Vetiul, chromi...@chromium.org
The number you see in the Chrome Web Store is the amount of users whose Chrome browser has checked for an update of your app within the last week. It is not the number of people who have installed your item.

Joe Marini
Developer Advocate / Chrome

Valeriu Vetiul

Aug 22, 2012, 11:48:44 AM8/22/12
to chromi...@chromium.org
Joe, thanks for the answer. However, that's not what I meant and I think that's not what MDigital meant.

Right now, we have about 12,000 weekly users (these are the ones whose browser has checked for an update that they have the extension installed). We have launched the extension 3 weeks ago, on July 31st 2012. The stats show a total number of installations since July 31st of 1710. Am I missing something?

Joe Marini

Aug 22, 2012, 11:50:20 AM8/22/12
to Valeriu Vetiul, chromi...@chromium.org
Hmmm. That does seem odd. Let me look into that.

Valeriu Vetiul

Aug 29, 2012, 8:23:22 AM8/29/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Valeriu Vetiul
Joe, any news on this issue?

Thanks!

Qian Huang

Aug 31, 2012, 12:07:50 PM8/31/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Valeriu Vetiul
MDigital/Valeriu,

Thanks for the reporting, we are watching over these stats, meanwhile a quick question, do you have significant out of store installation, i.e., you selfhost the item on your site? In this case the install won't be reported to us, but will be counted as weekly users when later they ping us for update check.

Thanks,

Qian Huang

Aug 31, 2012, 2:47:00 PM8/31/12
to chromi...@chromium.org, Valeriu Vetiul
Hi MDigital/Valeriu,

We have identified the cause and the stats chart is strictly displaying the store visit+install exclusively, and we are not clear about that. We have changed to include installs from all sources, the change will be live in the 9/9 release. By then you will see a much more accurate data compare to your weekly users.

Again thanks for reporting.