Intent to remove offset* from Element

tan...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2015, 5:46:19 AM9/3/15
to blink-dev, phi...@opera.com

Contact emails

tan...@samsung.com

Link to “Intent to Deprecate” thread

Summary
In CSSOM, these are only defined on HTMLElement:

In Blink they're on Element, HTMLElement and SVGElement. It's only for HTML and SVG elements that they do anything, in the Element case they will always return null/0.

Motivation
In below link, it has been discussed to deprecate and remove these attributes

Compatibility Risk
Low.Since the usage counters show low usage.

Usage information from UseCounter

OWP launch tracking bug

Entry on the feature dashboard
none.

Tanay

Rick Byers

Sep 3, 2015, 6:58:03 AM9/3/15
to tan...@gmail.com, blink-dev, Philip Jägenstedt
Looks like the deprecation warning went out in Chrome 46, so it'll still be awhile before it hits stable and has the greatest chance of web developers noticing.  However I think the risk here is quite low, and worst case and we discover some non-trivial breakage when M46 goes stable, we can always temporarily revert the removal from the M47 branch to give developers an extra milestone to prepare.

LGTM to remove.

Philip Jägenstedt

Sep 3, 2015, 8:25:29 AM9/3/15
to Rick Byers, tan...@gmail.com, blink-dev