Intent to Remove: CSSKeyframesRule.insertRule()

Philip Jägenstedt

May 21, 2015, 1:56:48 PM5/21/15
to blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

phi...@opera.com

Link to “Intent to Deprecate” thread

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/jaxgGDSFVY0/l5pqsjLkt_UJ

The deprecation is in M43 with this message: "'CSSKeyframesRule.insertRule()' is deprecated and will be removed in M45, around August 2015. Please use 'CSSKeyframesRule.appendRule()' instead."

Summary

Remove the CSSKeyframesRule.insertRule() in favor of the identical appendRule().

Motivation

The spec has only appendRule():

Usage information from UseCounter

https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/604

https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/605

insertRule() unfortunately has higher usage, but it only reaches 0.0002%.

Entry on chromestatus.com

https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5699616519487488

Compatibility Risk

IE11 implements only CSSKeyframesRule.appendRule(). Gecko has MozCSSKeyframesRule with only appendRule(). WebKit trunk has both CSSKeyframesRule.insertRule() and appendRule().

In other words, content that depends on insertRule() currently will not work in IE or Firefox.

Chris Harrelson

May 21, 2015, 1:57:59 PM5/21/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM1

Dimitri Glazkov

May 21, 2015, 2:01:26 PM5/21/15
to Chris Harrelson, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM2.

:DG<

PhistucK

May 21, 2015, 2:12:32 PM5/21/15

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 8:56 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <phi...@opera.com> wrote:

Compatibility Risk

IE11 implements only CSSKeyframesRule.appendRule(). Gecko has MozCSSKeyframesRule with only appendRule(). WebKit trunk has both CSSKeyframesRule.insertRule() and appendRule().

Have you tested Firefox? ​While this table is obviously in​accurate (I know Internet Explorer is not supposed to have insertRule), this whole property is not MozCSSKeyframesRule, but CSSKeyframesRule and the compatibility table suggests other data than you provided...
(I have not tested Firefox)

PhistucK

Philip Jägenstedt

May 21, 2015, 3:49:32 PM5/21/15
to PhistucK, blink-dev
I have tested in Firefox Nightly, and there's a MozCSSKeyframesRule interface with appendRule() but no insertRule().

Philip

Philip Rogers

May 22, 2015, 12:34:44 PM5/22/15
to Philip Jägenstedt, PhistucK, blink-dev
LGTM