Intent to Implement: the picture element's sizes and extended srcset attribute

Yoav Weiss

Mar 28, 2014, 9:58:44 AM3/28/14
to blink-dev
Emails
Yoav Weiss - yo...@yoav.ws

Spec

Summary
Enable a responsive images solution for the "resolution switching"/"variable width images" use case, by letting authors hint the browser regarding eventual layout dimensions, and provide multiple resources in multiple dimensions. As a first stage, these features would be implemented only on the img element.

Motivation
The "resolution switching" use case is a major use-case of the responsive images problem, and solving it would enable authors huge savings when designing Responsive/fluid Web sites.
The sizes and extended srcset attributes, as defined in the picture specification, resolve that use case in an efficient and elegant manner.

Compatibility Risk
That feature is a subset of the overall picture specification, which Firefox are also working on
There is no official response from WebKit regarding support for this feature, but WebKit community members have expressed favorable opinions about the feature.
There is no official response from IE regarding their intentions about this feature.

OWP launch tracking bug?

Row on feature dashboard?
Yes - for the entire picture specification. I can open a separate one for this feature, if necessary.

Requesting simultaneous permission to ship?
No

Adam Barth

Mar 28, 2014, 11:43:42 AM3/28/14
to yo...@yoav.ws, blin...@chromium.org
LGTM

I really appreciate that you're breaking this project into smaller pieces and taking the time to implement each stage in a way that integrates well with the rest of the engine.
IMHO, having just one entry in the dashboard is fine, even if we launch parts of the feature incrementally as we go.

Alex Russell

Mar 28, 2014, 11:54:27 PM3/28/14
to Adam Barth, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
LGTM.

Tab Atkins Jr.

Mar 31, 2014, 2:40:50 PM3/31/14
to Alex Russell, Adam Barth, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
LGTM

Ojan Vafai

Mar 31, 2014, 7:53:30 PM3/31/14
to Tab Atkins Jr., Alex Russell, Adam Barth, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev
LGTM