Intent to Implement and Ship: PerformanceObserver inside Worker

n...@chromium.org

Jul 24, 2017, 11:33:58 AM7/24/17
to blink-dev, Ilya Grigorik

Contact emails

n...@chromium.org  igri...@chromium.org

Spec

https://w3c.github.io/performance-timeline/

TAG review: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/18

Summary

Expose PerformanceObserver interface within Worker.

Motivation

We already ship workers with Performance. The Performance Observer is a newer addition with certain advantages, but we currently only support it on Window.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

Low risk here since we already ship window support.

Edge: Public support, not yet supported.

Firefox: Supported as experimental for window and worker.

Safari: Supported

Web developers: Positive

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS.

There are several tests. Some are marked as failure even for the window version. The following pass with window and the worker versions should be enabled when this feature ships:

external/wpt/performance-timeline/po-getentries.any.worker.html

external/wpt/performance-timeline/po-mark-measure.any.worker.html

external/wpt/performance-timeline/po-observe.any.worker.html

external/wpt/performance-timeline/po-entries-sort.any.worker.html

OWP launch tracking bug

747457

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

Fits under the existing feature for Performance Observer.

Requesting approval to ship?

Yes

Chris Harrelson

Jul 24, 2017, 6:49:47 PM7/24/17
to n...@chromium.org, blink-dev, Ilya Grigorik
LGTM1

mk...@chromium.org

Jul 25, 2017, 7:08:25 AM7/25/17
to blink-dev, n...@chromium.org, igri...@chromium.org, chri...@chromium.org
LGTM2. This doesn't expose any information that isn't already exposed to windows, and aligning the behavior with Firefox's nascent implementation seems reasonable.

Rick Byers

Jul 27, 2017, 3:11:00 PM7/27/17
to Mike West, blink-dev, n...@chromium.org, Ilya Grigorik, Chris Harrelson