The overflowchanged Event

PhistucK

Dec 3, 2013, 3:54:21 PM12/3/13
to blink-dev
Reading the latest Last Week post by Peter, I was surprised to discover that there is an apparently nonstandard event in Blink (and WebKit) - the overflowchanged event - and that it is even getting fixes (or maybe requestAnimationFrame is fixed to match its timing, I am not sure).

(http://www.w3.org/wiki/List_of_events suggests it was in Firefox 1.5 first, but apparently removed?)

I have never heard of this event, is there a reason to keep it? can anyone volunteer to add a UseCounter for it and remove it accordingly if it is not used?
(I am not sufficient in C++ at all)

Thank you!

PhistucK

Philip Jägenstedt

Dec 3, 2013, 4:25:49 PM12/3/13
to PhistucK, blink-dev
I've uploaded a patch for review:

https://codereview.chromium.org/102793003

Philip

PhistucK

Dec 3, 2013, 4:34:41 PM12/3/13
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
Thank you very much!

How can I track the results (once they are in, a few months from now, I guess?)?

PhistucK

Adam Barth

Dec 3, 2013, 6:22:34 PM12/3/13
to PhistucK, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM, PhistucK <phis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you very much!

How can I track the results (once they are in, a few months from now, I guess?)?

The public dashboard only shows the use counter data for CSS properties.  If you ask someone at Google, we can tell you the value from our internal dashboard.  Philip might also have his own data from Opera installs.

Adam

Elliott Sprehn

Dec 3, 2013, 8:03:34 PM12/3/13
to PhistucK, blink-dev
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM, PhistucK <phis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Reading the latest Last Week post by Peter, I was surprised to discover that there is an apparently nonstandard event in Blink (and WebKit) - the overflowchanged event - and that it is even getting fixes (or maybe requestAnimationFrame is fixed to match its timing, I am not sure).

It is only getting fixes that are security related. :)

(http://www.w3.org/wiki/List_of_events suggests it was in Firefox 1.5 first, but apparently removed?)

I have never heard of this event, is there a reason to keep it?

There's a bunch of random blog posts about it, even from DevRel people at Mozilla on how to use it to track certain kinds of layout changes. The feature is useful, although our API is pretty awkward. I'd support removing it if the UseCounter backs that up. :)

- E

PhistucK

Mar 6, 2014, 1:11:26 PM3/6/14
to blink-dev
I guess this can be removed -

Anyone wants to take this? :)

Thank you, everyone!

PhistucK

gnanas...@samsung.com

Mar 6, 2014, 2:16:45 PM3/6/14
to blin...@chromium.org
I will take this and remove.

cahit...@gmail.com

May 20, 2014, 8:47:30 AM5/20/14
to blin...@chromium.org
That's very shame. Webkit(with overflowchanged) and Firefox(with overflow and underflow events) were the only browsers that support per-element responsive design, resize-proof web component UI development, size-based loading of content.
This event was the great way to detect dom resize changes.

Philip Jägenstedt

May 20, 2014, 9:07:45 AM5/20/14
to cahit...@gmail.com, blink-dev
It hasn't been removed or even deprecated yet, see this thread:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/1RCzsyEyNU8/5vNpxrhRbUIJ

Philip