Intent to Implement: Support "once" event listener option

Anton Obzhirov

Aug 19, 2016, 5:36:41 AM8/19/16
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

a.obz...@samsung.com

Spec

https://dom.spec.whatwg.org/#dom-addeventlisteneroptions-once

Summary

Support add an event listener with option "once" set to true. When set to true, options’s once member indicates that the callback will only be invoked once after which the event listener will be removed.

Motivation

It makes easier to create one time events in JavaScript and useful for web developers to write cleaner, more elegant and error-free code.

Check also

https://www.webreflection.co.uk/blog/2016/04/17/new-dom4-standards#what-is-once-about-

Interoperability risk

None

Firefox: Public support

Safari: Public support

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux,

Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes

OWP launch tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=615384

https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5630331130478592

Requesting approval to ship?

Yes

BR, Anton

PhistucK

Aug 19, 2016, 9:32:27 AM8/19/16
to Anton Obzhirov, blin...@chromium.org
Safari (well, the technology preview) already implemented it. :)
(It is even in its release notes)
So I guess "In Development" is sort of the right status.

PhistucK

Ben Kelly

Aug 19, 2016, 10:13:00 AM8/19/16
to Anton Obzhirov, blin...@chromium.org
On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Anton Obzhirov <a.obz...@samsung.com> wrote:

Interoperability risk

Firefox: Public support

Its implemented in FF50 which is currently dev-edition and ships around Nov 8.

Anton Obzhirov

Aug 19, 2016, 10:46:53 AM8/19/16
to PhistucK, blin...@chromium.org

Yes, it is in WebKit main trunk which was partially the inspiration to raise the intent J

PhistucK

Philip Jägenstedt

Aug 22, 2016, 4:39:00 AM8/22/16
to Anton Obzhirov, PhistucK, blin...@chromium.org
Intent to Implement needs no LGTM, but what is your plan for shipping? Neither Gecko nor WebKit put this behind a flag (in their IDL at least), so I'd support just shipping this if you want to send an "Intent to Ship" right away.

Dave Tapuska

Aug 22, 2016, 8:35:12 AM8/22/16
to Philip Jägenstedt, Anton Obzhirov, PhistucK, blink-dev
I believe there is a Requesting Approval to Ship indicates true. So I think the title didn't get adjusted from the template. Since the change actually is pending review you can treat this as an Intent To Ship.

dave.

PhistucK

Philip Jägenstedt

Aug 31, 2016, 7:57:05 AM8/31/16
to Dave Tapuska, Anton Obzhirov, PhistucK, blink-dev
Oh, I didn't notice the "requesting approval to ship" bit at the bottom. I'll change this to "Implement and Ship" in https://bit.ly/blinkintents

What template did you use? I've always copied from https://www.chromium.org/blink#launch-process and then you need to write the title manually.

LGTM1

PhistucK

Philip Jägenstedt

Aug 31, 2016, 8:02:09 AM8/31/16
to Dave Tapuska, Anton Obzhirov, PhistucK, blink-dev
Oh my, this has already been resolved, sorry about the noise. I've updated https://bit.ly/blinkintents again to link to both threads :)