Intent to Extend Origin Trial: EventTiming

n...@chromium.org

Jan 11, 2019, 1:09:48 PM1/11/19
to blink-dev

Contact emails

n...@chromium.org, tdre...@chromium.org

Spec

Link to spec: https://wicg.github.io/event-timing/

Summary

Monitoring event latency today requires an event listener. This precludes measuring event latency early in page load, and adds unnecessary performance overhead. The Event Timing API gives developers insight into the latency of a subset of events triggered by user interaction. In order to capture user pain caused by slow initial interactions, the event timing API includes First Input Delay (FID).

Previous trial results are described at https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/blink-dev/mGkwLYpHOxM/T7pEAGVJCAAJ

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!searchin/blink-dev/event$20timing%7Csort:date/blink-dev/QNE6TVQve-0/vITXx1N5BQAJ

Goals for experimentation

The goal this time is to gain feedback from the a key partner about the FID portion of EventTiming. Since it is exposed in CrUX, we’d like to give developers that are very keen on improving the value to sign up for the origin trial to obtain the data.

Experimental timeline

Current experiment began in M68 and is set to end at the end of M71. We’d like to extend the experiment until the end of M72.

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

No - this is a performance API.

Reason this experiment is being extended

We’d like to extend again because there’s a key partner who hasn’t had a chance to use the trial yet whose data we would value

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Debuggability

When enabled, FID is exposed via javascript either via PerformanceObserver (requires early registration) or via the performance timeline if it occurs before onload:

// Register observer during onload.

const performanceObserver = new PerformanceObserver …

performanceObserver.observe({entryTypes:['firstInput']});

// Or get it from the buffer.

performance.getEntriesByType(‘firstInput’);

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

Yes.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5167290693713920

Yoav Weiss

Jan 21, 2019, 11:02:25 AM1/21/19
to n...@chromium.org, blink-dev
Friendly ping to my fellow API owners (not signing off myself, as I'm too close to this effort)

Chris Harrelson

Jan 21, 2019, 12:13:24 PM1/21/19
to Yoav Weiss, n...@chromium.org, blink-dev
LGTM to extend to to the end of M72.