Intent to Ship: Clear-Site-Data header

Martin Šrámek

Jun 20, 2017, 12:20:43 PM6/20/17
to blink-dev

Contact emails

msr...@chromium.org, mk...@chromium.org

Spec

https://w3c.github.io/webappsec-clear-site-data/

Tag review

Summary

The Clear-Site-Data header allows a secure origin to send a header requesting the deletion of its own browsing data. Storage and cache can be deleted for the origin, cookies are deleted for the entire eTLD+1.

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

Intent to implement.

What has changed since:

  • The header is supported for subresource requests as well (not just for navigations).

  • The header is not respected when returned by service workers, or when the credentials mode does not allow modifications to cookies (kudos to mme...@chromium.org for pointing out these issues).

  • The "storage" section now only includes storage datatypes that are writable/readable by web, but not ones kept by the embedder (such as site engagement).

Is this feature supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes.

Demo link

A demo is available here. Currently, it’s necessary to download it and run the python server locally. I’ll see what I can do to get it hosted somewhere.

Debuggability

Every occurrence of the header produces a console output, stating that data is being cleared, or explaining why the header could not be parsed.

Interoperability and Compatibility Risk

Edge: No signals

Firefox: Positive

Safari: No signals

Web developers: Positive (Github has been experimenting for months, Google products have been patiently waiting much longer)

Dropbox (among others) noted that the categories in the spec at the moment are fairly broad, and we expect we'll want to introduce more granular filters in the future (to, for example, allow removing Service Workers but not `localStorage`, or all but one critical cookie). The syntax is extensible (unknown values are simply ignored), and forward-compatible with a more complicated JSON representation if we decide we need that complexity in the future.

There is currently only one simple WPT at the moment. Chrome's implementation is fully covered by browsertests. We intend to convert those to upstreamed layout tests before shipping.

OWP launch tracking bug

https://crbug.com/607897

Entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4713262029471744

Rick Byers

Jun 22, 2017, 11:41:47 AM6/22/17
to Martin Šrámek, blink-dev
LGTM1

Chris Harrelson

Jun 22, 2017, 1:01:48 PM6/22/17
to Rick Byers, Martin Šrámek, blink-dev
LGTM2

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAFUtAY850L1jF84NSrF8qLY_yTKceZmUNZ8xJHExamgfpup4fA%40mail.gmail.com.

Jochen Eisinger

Jun 29, 2017, 9:58:20 AM6/29/17
to Chris Harrelson, Rick Byers, Martin Šrámek, blink-dev
lgtm3