What to do with HTMLHeadElement.profile?

Philip Jägenstedt

May 22, 2014, 6:21:52 PM5/22/14
to blink-dev
This property was removed from HTML in 2010 "since UAs are removing support":
http://html5.org/r/5063

However, Blink, WebKit and IE11 still support it. Firefox does not,
nor did the last shipping version of Presto.

The usage is fluctuating between 0.05% and 0.075%, which is higher
than most removals I'm aware of:
http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/207

The profile content attribute doesn't actually do anything, but that
doesn't mean nothing could break by removing it. Still, Firefox seems
to get by without it.

The cost of supporting it is 1 line in HTMLHeadElement.idl.

What to do? Deprecate+remove or ask for it to be put back in the spec?

Philip

Elliott Sprehn

May 22, 2014, 6:28:11 PM5/22/14
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
How long has Firefox been shipping without it? The cost is also in binary size. One reflected attribute isn't that much, but it's still good to ditch old kruft.

We should see if we can reach out to MS and get them to drop it too.

Ojan Vafai

May 22, 2014, 6:31:56 PM5/22/14
to Elliott Sprehn, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
That it doesn't do anything and that Firefox doesn't ship it makes me think we probably could remove it without breaking content. I think it's fine either way.

Boris Zbarsky

May 22, 2014, 9:22:25 PM5/22/14
to blink-dev
On 5/22/14, 6:28 PM, Elliott Sprehn wrote:
> How long has Firefox been shipping without it?

In release versions, since Firefox 4. So a bit over 3 years now.

-Boris