Intent to Implement and Ship: Remove [NoInterfaceObject] from DeviceOrientation Event interfaces

Reilly Grant

Feb 12, 2019, 12:54:05 PM2/12/19
to blink-dev
rei...@chromium.org https://w3c.github.io/deviceorientation/ The [NoInterfaceObject] annotation is being removed from WebIDL. The DeviceOrientation Event specification has been updated to remove this annotation from the Acceleration and RotationRate interfaces and rename them to DeviceMotionEventAcceleration and DeviceMotionEventRotationRate in order to avoid polluting the global namespace with generic interface names. See heycam/webidl#430 for discussion of this change to WebIDL.
Firefox: Public support Edge: No public signals Safari: No public signals Web developers: No signals Low, the interfaces were not previously exposed and the new names are specified to avoid collisions with existing code and specifications. None. Yes.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=927965 https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5981148249325568 Yes.

TAMURA, Kent

Feb 12, 2019, 9:17:57 PM2/12/19
to Reilly Grant, blink-dev
LGTM1.  The new behavior is reasonable, and it's a trivial change,

TAMURA Kent
Software Engineer, Google

Mike West

Feb 13, 2019, 4:27:06 AM2/13/19
to TAMURA, Kent, Balazs Engedy, Philip Jägenstedt, Reilly Grant, blink-dev
LGTM2, with the caveat that we should likely mark them `[SecureContext]`, given +Balazs Engedy and +Philip Jägenstedt's conversation on restricting the underlying events. Would it be reasonable for us to push for that restriction in the spec?

-mike

Daniel Bratell

Feb 13, 2019, 11:48:48 AM2/13/19
to TAMURA, Kent, Balazs Engedy, Philip Jägenstedt, Mike West, Reilly Grant, blink-dev
LGTM3 (but see mkwst's comment)

/Daniel
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAKXHy%3DfNf7NFLyyT5jZ5_WoCrKCM-46cwQPUV7wxX9KZZPv%3DCA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
/* Opera Software, Linköping, Sweden: CET (UTC+1) */

Reilly Grant

Feb 13, 2019, 1:05:01 PM2/13/19
to Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, Balazs Engedy, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
I agree, but that work should be done under the banner of the other Intent just to avoid confusion over the intent (no pun intended) of each.
Reilly Grant | Software Engineer | rei...@chromium.org | Google Chrome

Balazs Engedy

Feb 14, 2019, 9:37:05 AM2/14/19
to Reilly Grant, Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
Looks like the spec change for [NoInterfaceObject] was already merged. I submitted a PR on top of that, which also includes marking up DeviceMotionEventAcceleration and DeviceMotionEventRotationRate with the [SecureContext] attribute.

Reilly Grant

Feb 15, 2019, 3:19:46 PM2/15/19
to Balazs Engedy, Mike West, TAMURA, Kent, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
I misunderstood the interaction of removing [NoInterfaceObject] and adding [SecureContext]. The change to do the former for these interfaces has just landed and I'm going to follow up with another patch to add [SecureContext] to those so that this intent only affects secure contexts. I still want to be sure that there is agreement on your PR before changing the event interfaces themselves.

Reilly Grant | Software Engineer | rei...@chromium.org | Google Chrome