Intent to Implement and Ship: Send “input” Event on activation behavior for radio and file <input> type.

shanm...@samsung.com

Jan 23, 2018, 5:20:36 AM1/23/18
to blink-dev

Contact emails

shanm...@samsung.com

Explainer

N/A

Design doc/Spec

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/input.html#radio-button-state-(type=radio)

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/input.html#file-upload-state-(type=file)

Summary / Motivation

As per spec, on input activation behavior fires a input event, then a change event for radio and file <input > type.

Currently chrome does not fire input event. This proposal changes that it fires input event before change event as per spec for radio and file.

Chrome done similar change for checkbox already. So it proposes the similar changes for other input types.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Possibly some sites may start getting “input” event when they don't expect them. Firefox already sends this event, so this event shouldn't really surprise web developers.

Edge: No signals

Firefox: Shipped

Safari: No Signal

Web developers: Positive

Ergonomics

N/A.

Activation

Easy to start taking advantage of just add the listener.

Debuggability

Easy

Yes

Yes for radio type. No WPT test for file type.

html/semantics/forms/the-input-element/radio.html

OWP launch tracking bug

http://crbug.com/534245

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5669661005840384

Requesting approval to ship?

Yes

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 23, 2018, 6:24:23 AM1/23/18
to shanm...@samsung.com, blink-dev
LGTM1

Confirmed on https://wpt.fyi/html/semantics/forms/the-input-element/radio.html that this is passing in Firefox. (And filed https://github.com/w3c/wptdashboard/issues/389 because the Safari result look suspicious. But the "click on mutable radio fires click event, then input event, then change event" test is failing when run manually.)

nehte...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2018, 6:54:12 AM1/23/18
to blin...@chromium.org

Hello!

I use a new email filtering service called BitBounce to better filter my spam. To deliver your email to my inbox, please click the link below and pay the small Credo fee. Thank you!

You can sign up or get more info about BitBounce by clicking here.

To deliver your email:

We’ve never met. I’ll pay your fee.

I know you. Add me to your whitelist.

Email That Pays

BitBounce is a product by:

Turing Technology, Inc.

BitBounce.com

Redwood City, CA

Rick Byers

Jan 23, 2018, 9:44:10 AM1/23/18
to Philip Jägenstedt, Shanmuga, blink-dev

Chris Harrelson

Jan 23, 2018, 7:27:46 PM1/23/18
to Rick Byers, Philip Jägenstedt, Shanmuga, blink-dev
LGTM3

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAFUtAY-zwc%2BKyLS_jJe-67THQiodHewK58wy_xRDVQj5KQJEmQ%40mail.gmail.com.