Intent to Deprecate and Remove: CSS media features -webkit-transform-2d, -webkit-animation and -webkit-view-mode

Philip Jägenstedt

May 5, 2014, 4:53:32 PM5/5/14
to blink-dev

Primary eng (and PM) emails

phi...@opera.com

Summary

Remove support for these prefixed CSS media features:

-webkit-transform-2d (PrefixedTransform2dMediaFeature -webkit-animation (PrefixedAnimationMediaFeature)

-webkit-view-mode (PrefixedViewModeMediaFeature)

Motivation

They are prefixed and extremely rare used according to UseCounter data

Compatibility Risk

Media queries using these features stop matching, and so some CSS will stop being applied.

Alternative implementation suggestion for web developers

None of these have been standardized, so just unprefixed will not work. The first two can be replaced with @supports:

@media(-webkit-transform-2d) => @supports(-webkit-transform: none)

@media(-webkit-animation) => @supports(-webkit-animation: none)

-webkit-view-mode doesn't have a replacement, because it didn't do anything useful, as Peter Beverloo mentions in this blog:

http://peter.sh/2010/11/multiple-profiles-the-matchmedia-interface-and-locally-modified-files/

Usage information from UseCounter

http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/236

http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/238

http://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/239

Entry on chromestatus.com and/or MDN

None

Requesting approval to remove too?

Yes, usage is so low that a deprecation period seems unlikely to do any good.

PhistucK

May 6, 2014, 6:08:07 AM5/6/14
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
I strongly support this.

I wish we could remove -webkit-transform-3d as well, but, it has surprisingly high usage. :(
Probably due to old Modernizr builds, the various references on Google when you search for it and maybe also due to the demo of the 3D transforms announcement post.

PhistucK

Adam Barth

May 6, 2014, 1:14:55 PM5/6/14
to PhistucK, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM

Dimitri Glazkov

May 6, 2014, 1:18:42 PM5/6/14
to Adam Barth, PhistucK, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTMZ.

Jochen Eisinger

May 7, 2014, 4:05:31 AM5/7/14
to Dimitri Glazkov, Adam Barth, PhistucK, Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
LGTM3