Intent to Prototype: URLPattern

Ben Kelly

Oct 22, 2020, 1:32:47 PM10/22/20
to blink-dev

Contact emails

wande...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/urlpattern/blob/master/explainer.md

Specification

None

Design docs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17L6b3zlTHtyxQvOAvbK55gQOi5rrJLERwjt_sKXpzqc/edit?usp=sharing

Summary

URLPattern is a new web API that provides native support for matching URLs given a pattern string. It is designed to be usable both in javascript directly and by passing patterns to other web platform APIs; e.g. as a service worker scope.

Blink component

Blink>ServiceWorker

Motivation

Both web platform features and javascript applications often need to match against URLs. For example, service worker scopes on the web platform side and URL routing in a javascript framework. Past web platform features have individually created their own URL matching mechanism. Javascript has relied on libraries such as path-to-regexp. This effort introduces a common URL matching primitive that can be used in both web platform APIs and directly in javascript.

Initial public proposal

https://github.com/WICG/proposals/issues/9

TAG review

TAG review status

Issues addressed

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Yes (although I don't know how to mark that in chromestatus...)

Not yet

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1141510

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5731920199548928

Ben Kelly

Dec 17, 2020, 11:37:36 AM12/17/20
to blink-dev
FYI, we've published an update on the API and implementation status here:

We're also experimenting with collecting community feedback in github discussions if anyone has questions, ideas, or feedback:

Thanks.

Ben