Is there a plan for shipping unprefixed fullscreen API?

Philip Jägenstedt

Oct 22, 2013, 3:32:15 AM10/22/13
to blink-dev
Hi all,

Perhaps everyone already knew this, but I was surprised to discover
today that the only browser that has shipped the fullscreen API
unprefixed is old Opera (Presto).

I see that there are parts of the spec (like
Document.fullscreenEnabled) that aren't implemented even with a
prefix. Is anyone working towards shipping the API unprefixed?
(Removing the prefixed variant is a separate and likely much later
issue.)

Philip

Matt Falkenhagen

Oct 22, 2013, 5:37:01 AM10/22/13
to Philip Jägenstedt, blink-dev
The current fullscreen implementation isn't so compliant with the latest spec with respect to things like positioning, stacking, and ::backdrop. I'm planning to fix most of that in  https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=240576

But I hadn't considered unprefixing yet. I'd be in favor of unprefixing after 240576 is fixed. Note that we also have two prefixed variants currently: webkitRequestFullscreen and webkitRequestFullScreen (different capitalizations). It'd be good to clean this up.

Philip Jägenstedt

Oct 22, 2013, 6:57:18 AM10/22/13
to Matt Falkenhagen, blink-dev
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Matt Falkenhagen <fal...@chromium.org> wrote:
> The current fullscreen implementation isn't so compliant with the latest
> spec with respect to things like positioning, stacking, and ::backdrop. I'm
> planning to fix most of that in
> https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=240576

Great, I'm following that bug now.

> But I hadn't considered unprefixing yet. I'd be in favor of unprefixing
> after 240576 is fixed. Note that we also have two prefixed variants
> currently: webkitRequestFullscreen and webkitRequestFullScreen (different
> capitalizations). It'd be good to clean this up.

Yeah, I know, I added UseCounters for the video-specific ones just a
few days ago. If you want I can add counters for the Element-level
APIs as well, to learn how common webkitRequestFullScreen really is.

Philip

Matt Falkenhagen

Oct 23, 2013, 3:09:09 AM10/23/13
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <phi...@opera.com> wrote:
Yeah, I know, I added UseCounters for the video-specific ones just a
few days ago. If you want I can add counters for the Element-level
APIs as well, to learn how common webkitRequestFullScreen really is.

OK great. Sounds like putting counters on Element would also be useful.

Philip Jägenstedt

Oct 23, 2013, 3:47:59 AM10/23/13
to Matt Falkenhagen, blink-dev
Done: https://codereview.chromium.org/36573003/

There are also prefixed fullscreen APIs on Document
(DocumentFullscreen.idl), but it's probably not useful to count those
until it turns out that their friends in Element are possible to
remove, years from now...

Philip
Message has been deleted